What Did You Buy Today?

I can't top @alloy's CNC Lathe for this month's heaviest, but I am claiming the 'Granite Stoopid' award once again for this month.
I didn't think there'd be anything of any real interest in this auction. I was wrong.
Local auction outfit that usually does estates. Only a 10% Fee. Yeah!
This is the picture from the auction listing. 6x36x36 Grade 'A'. mfg'd 2018.
1594847808252.png

But this is what was at the Preview.
Employees were still present, the facility is still shutting down and I was told that the plate had only been un-crated and setup late 2019.
Used a couple or three times to measure some parts.
I couldn't pin them down if the Fowler height gage and the Vee block set were included.
There was a bunch of stuff _not_ included in the auction.

IMG_20200709_133512129__R.jpg
1594848388667.png

Arrived for pick-up today and they were included!
Honey grabbed it and stashed it in the box and took it straight to the truck.
The Vee Blocks are still in their factory wrappers, haven't been used.
IMG_20200715_114752__R.jpg
0709201327b__R.jpg

Lucked out again and they still had a forktruck available, extra long forks, if not I would have been up the proverbial creek. Would have had to hire a wrecker.
IMG_20200715_141537__R.jpg
Not sure if I used enough straps...... :grin:
We put rubber pads all around between the plate and the stand and some packing corners between the plate and stand at the corners.
IMG_20200715_145105__R.jpg

I also scored something for my Better-Half. Figured it would be a wise move since we're knee-deep in granite and she's been helping me sling them.
The current one we have is pushing (20) years old.
1594848911066.png

And then, and then...
After we were loaded up, I went dumpster diving. The head honcho of the business said that they'd pitched some UHMW plates into the dumpster.
He wasn't kidding. 3/4" & 1-1/2" thk. around 30" long plus smaller pieces.
If anybody needs some - give me a shout.
IMG_20200715_151745__R.jpg

Time for a cold Cerveza... maybe two... :beer:

I can't top @alloy's CNC Lathe for this month's heaviest, but I am claiming the 'Granite Stoopid' award once again for this month.
I didn't think there'd be anything of any real interest in this auction. I was wrong.
Local auction outfit that usually does estates. Only a 10% Fee. Yeah!
This is the picture from the auction listing. 6x36x36 Grade 'A'. mfg'd 2018.
View attachment 330455

But this is what was at the Preview.
Employees were still present, the facility is still shutting down and I was told that the plate had only been un-crated and setup late 2019.
Used a couple or three times to measure some parts.
I couldn't pin them down if the Fowler height gage and the Vee block set were included.
There was a bunch of stuff _not_ included in the auction.

View attachment 330456
View attachment 330458

Arrived for pick-up today and they were included!
Honey grabbed it and stashed it in the box and took it straight to the truck.
The Vee Blocks are still in their factory wrappers, haven't been used.
View attachment 330457
View attachment 330459

Lucked out again and they still had a forktruck available, extra long forks, if not I would have been up the proverbial creek. Would have had to hire a wrecker.
View attachment 330460
Not sure if I used enough straps...... :grin:
We put rubber pads all around between the plate and the stand and some packing corners between the plate and stand at the corners.
View attachment 330462

I also scored something for my Better-Half. Figured it would be a wise move since we're knee-deep in granite and she's been helping me sling them.
The current one we have is pushing (20) years old.
View attachment 330465

And then, and then...
After we were loaded up, I went dumpster diving. The head honcho of the business said that they'd pitched some UHMW plates into the dumpster.
He wasn't kidding. 3/4" & 1-1/2" thk. around 30" long plus smaller pieces.
If anybody needs some - give me a shout.
View attachment 330466

Time for a cold Cerveza... maybe two... :beer:
I think that qualifies as score of the....week? Month?

Bought the Harbor Freight US GENERAL 44x22 13 drawer tool chest. First impressions are positive. It’s no light weight, ~300lbs.
I bought it’s little brother. No, not light at all. My neighbor and I got this one off my tailgate, we ended up on the ground once it hit the deck.
Oh wait, I count 13

Attachments

• ABAFF3B1-8C7C-46CD-9DE9-7B6C9959AEDC.jpeg
    ABAFF3B1-8C7C-46CD-9DE9-7B6C9959AEDC.jpeg
    812.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 2C7FDE21-E43B-43DC-B0BD-51524CC7B9C6.jpeg
    2C7FDE21-E43B-43DC-B0BD-51524CC7B9C6.jpeg
    832.6 KB · Views: 70
Why does it seem that lifting stuff after a certain age requires hydraulic assistance? :cool 2:
I bought it’s little brother. No, not light at all. My neighbor and I got this one off my tailgate, we ended up on the ground once it hit the deck.
Oh wait, I count 13

I ordered the BS-1 dividing head from PM today. They’re on sale.
Looking forward to playing with it.

I ordered the BS-0 from PM back around February. I'm really impressed with the quality of these things for what they cost. A vintage one might be better but I couldn't find a worn and incomplete vintage dividing head for what PM is charging. Still looking for a project to use it on. :rolleyes:

Bought the Harbor Freight US GENERAL 44x22 13 drawer tool chest. First impressions are positive. It’s no light weight, ~300lbs.

I now have 3 of the HF boxes, the 44" provides a home for my Sherline lathe, a 26" for my Sherline mill and the most recent was a 5 drawer cart which serves as my cart of flatness (12x18" surface plate under the lid). The HF carts and tool chests are a good deal, they don't feel cheap, and are much sturdier than my 26" Husky (Home Depot) cart. They win my best thing HF sells award. :)

The accessories that they sell for them are nice a well, I've got a glove box holder, and 2 paper towel holders (regular and blue) on the end of the 44". Matching power strips for both the 44" and 26".

Last edited:
Still looking for a project to use it on

I had to stop acquiring tooling because there has to be a place to pause. Otherwise the relationship I have with my wife may not endure :)
But seriously, I have thought of a dividing head but would I ever have to make a gear? Maybe.
Plenty of things I can make with my 5C spin indexer. I have two actually.
I bought one to try out some simple OD grinding on my surface grinder to reduce a hardened shaft.
I've gotten to the point I can pretty much do what I want and if I dream up a project that requires a new tool, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Those US General tool boxes are a fair deal, I agree.

Back