What Did You Buy Today?

I had to stop acquiring tooling because there has to be a place to pause. Otherwise the relationship I have with my wife may not endure :)
But seriously, I have thought of a dividing head but would I ever have to make a gear? Maybe.
Plenty of things I can make with my 5C spin indexer. I have two actually.
I bought one to try out some simple OD grinding on my surface grinder to reduce a hardened shaft.
I've gotten to the point I can pretty much do what I want and if I dream up a project that requires a new tool, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Those US General tool boxes are a fair deal, I agree.

Well I have this stack of gear cutters I got with the horizontal mill, so I'm going to make some gears just don't know what for yet. :xmaslights:

gear cutters.jpg

I seriously might just make a gear chain with a hand crank just to do it.

Just learning how to do it would be interesting.
I know John York has cut more gears than Custer had Indians. (Is that too Political?)

Where do you think I got the idea that horizontal mills aren't hopelessly obsolete and useless from? :grin:

Where did you get those cool trays?

They are Milwaukee stacking boxes. They were on sale so I bought a couple, thinking they might be handy for keeping welding stuff together on the cart but they worked even better for the horizontal mill tooling so they got repurposed. I ended up with a couple of similar but slightly smaller / cheaper Husky boxes for the welding cart as they fit the cart better.

I think they are this one

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...ep-Pro-Small-Parts-Organizer-225046/205847797

Say WHAT?!
Quick someone - intervention is need in Chico, CA!
I had to stop acquiring tooling because there has to be a place to pause. Otherwise the relationship I have with my wife may not endure :)
But seriously, I have thought of a dividing head but would I ever have to make a gear? Maybe.
Plenty of things I can make with my 5C spin indexer. I have two actually.
I bought one to try out some simple OD grinding on my surface grinder to reduce a hardened shaft.
I've gotten to the point I can pretty much do what I want and if I dream up a project that requires a new tool, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Those US General tool boxes are a fair deal, I agree.

I guess I'm lucky. I told my wife about the CNC lathe and she asked if I had the money to buy it and I said yes.

She said then buy it then.

It's money I made in my side business and not household money so it's mine to spend.

I think I'm the only one I know that their hobby more than pays for itself.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky. I told my wife about the CNC lathe and she asked if I had the money to buy it and I said yes.

She said then buy it then.

It's money I made in my side business and not household money so it's mine to spend.

I think I'm the only one I know that their hobby more than pays for itself.
Then that is not a hobby, that is an income generating enterprise. :grin:

I ordered the BS-1 dividing head from PM today. They’re on sale.
Looking forward to playing with it.
It arrived broken ☹️. Transit damage. I’ve emailed PM, I’m sure it will be handled, but I don’t get to play with it this weekend. Bummer.

Back