What Did You Buy Today?

Are you running out of room yet Bruce?
Actually, yes, but have a plan. Our pole barn is 40 x 96; actually a 40 x 56 x 10' with a cement floor and a 40 x 40 x 12' attached addition with a dirt floor. The front 40 x 32 x 10' is my shop. The back 24 x 40 is for storage. We store my sister's 18' speed boat in the winter, so need to leave an alleyway through the shop to the back half. However, they are looking at moving within two years and will be going with a pontoon instead that'll be stored at the marina. That'll free up the back half for insulation, etc. and will make it into my wood shop.

I always have a plan 'B'. . . The 40 x 40 x 12' is for firewood storage (8' x 40'), Case 580 back hoe, Ford F600 dump truck, Massey 35 farm tractor, quad, 6 x 10 utility trailer and our garden tractor. I'm looking at selling the Case, Ford and Massey and replacing them with a Kubota tractor. Then put in a stone floor and ceiling in the 40 x 40. Should be plenty of storage space for the speed boat if their move plans fall through.

Of course, a better solution would be to stop buying stuff. But a day without a FedEx/UPS/USPS delivery of a tool is like a day without sunshine!

Bruce

Guys like Bruce are the envy of us all.
Many of us work in our 20X20X8 shops or smaller.
We haven't settled on this house yet. We are thinking after I retire we find a place with a shop and more property.
California property is expensive and we live up in the North Valley in a farming community. As you get closer to the urban centers and coastal regions the prices go into seven digits.

Guys like Bruce are the envy of us all.
Many of us work in our 20X20X8 shops or smaller.
We haven't settled on this house yet. We are thinking after I retire we find a place with a shop and more property.
California property is expensive and we live up in the North Valley in a farming community. As you get closer to the urban centers and coastal regions the prices go into seven digits.

Have the same dream, only right now I don't even have a shop. All my tools are sitting in storage. We have been living on a boat for the last 10 years here in the PNW after every thing went to heck in California after 2008. But here in Washington, property is just as bad price wise as California.

Of course, a better solution would be to stop buying stuff. But a day without a FedEx/UPS/USPS delivery of a tool is like a day without sunshine!
Bruce

I have been waiting for Fedex to deliver my DRO for my lathe for over a week. I has been sitting not more than 70 miles in their facility. They just keep moving the date out.
I am at the point with Fedex, that if I know that someone is going to ship by them, I will just pass on the item.
Patrick

Came across a really nice power hacksaw in CL today. Text the seller, add had been there for 5 month. Still available, about 70 miles away so asked if he was negotiable, came back with smart azz remark " what do you want it for free", got worse after that. Told him thanks but no thanks and good luck. Then kept texting, I told him I don't need his attitude and don't contact me again.
No wonder he's had it for sale for 5 months.

Reactions: Z2V
Have the same dream, only right now I don't even have a shop. All my tools are sitting in storage. We have been living on a boat for the last 10 years here in the PNW after every thing went to heck in California after 2008. But here in Washington, property is just as bad price wise as California.
We have friends that live in Port Orchard. Lovely area. When they sold their home in Novato and moved to WA, they had their pick of beautiful homes in nice neighborhoods for a fraction of the cost. This was in the late 90's.
Yeah, the PNW is pricey and Seattle and the surrounding area has lots of traffic. Of course, so does the bay area.!!

Nice property all has that one thing in common....

Every time someone tells me how expensive it is to live where I do (whether in Michigan or California) I only have one thing to say, "totally worth it"

John

Back