What Did You Buy Today?

You turn down the smallest size that is larger than the diameter you need.

Ah, I see the light!

Thanks!

Stu

Although if I ever do use one of these I will probably replace it with something from East Trashcanistan. I buy American tools whenever possible, but expendables I will opt for low cost especially if it is just raw 'stock' that I machine to size. Wallet fatigue I guess.

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for a tool I don't have and these Breakheart mandrels magically showed up today. One of two boxes in the USPS delivery.

Set comes with a wooden holder and Allen wrenches to fit. 70 bucks plus shipping in a USPS small flat rate box.

View attachment 334784.

Preliminary inspection says they look good. It does not appear that the sizes overlap so there may be some 'dead zones' but I will have to do some more tweaking to verify.
Stu

Those look very handy. I have had to make mandrels like this in the past for jobs, this would surely make life a lot easier.

The brown truck showed up today with a couple goodies for the 9A
Yeah, it's import but didn't break the bank and it surely will do what I want to do I hope!!

Attachments

• DSCN8032.JPG
    DSCN8032.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
Pick up this beauty to replace my junky Harbor Freight 4x6 bandsaw.

Peerless 6x6 power hacksaw. All told, it weighs in at about 800 pounds (a tad heavier than my current 4x6!). Has a coolant pump in the base, too.

Paid about $200 for it at an estate sale. Seems the prior owner (rest his soul...) completely went through it and repainted it when he was done. Everything seems to work on it perfectly.

It's got a 120V single phase motor, so no need for anything fancy. Cuts better than twice as fast as the 4x6. And a much more satisfying looking mechanism, too.

IMG_7836.JPG

1598553892408.png

Peerless 6x6 power hacksaw. All told, it weighs in at about 800 pounds (a tad heavier than my current 4x6!). Has a coolant pump in the base, too.

Paid about $200 for it at an estate sale. Seems the prior owner (rest his soul...) completely went through it and repainted it when he was done. Everything seems to work on it perfectly.

It's got a 120V single phase motor, so no need for anything fancy. Cuts better than twice as fast as the 4x6. And a much more satisfying looking mechanism, too.

View attachment 335043

View attachment 335044

Nice find.

I hope to find one of these myself. Like them better than band saws. Would be really cool if it had been painted to match the factory image.

Also, I see in the add that is originally had one of the automatic oilers. Most likely the brass ones. I know it doesn't matter, but I love the nostalgia of the old equipment, most of which would well out me.

View attachment 335043

View attachment 335044
Wow! Nice machine, how wide is that blade???

Great looking saw! I'm surprised to hear it works faster than a band saw (even a cheap 4x6). I'd always heard that, because hacksaws wasted time returning the blade, bandsaws were faster. Live and learn!

Just for fun, especially for you Back Easters, here's one for sale in Maryland (though you might have to fight @mmcmdl for it) :)

Great looking saw! I'm surprised to hear it works faster than a band saw (even a cheap 4x6). I'd always heard that, because hacksaws wasted time returning the blade, bandsaws were faster. Live and learn!

Just for fun, especially for you Back Easters, here's one for sale in Maryland (though you might have to fight @mmcmdl for it) :)

I am no expert, but a power hacksaw compared to a comparable band saw may not be as fast. Hard to determine a reasonable comparison. Heavier power hacksaws can not only be pretty fast, but they can also be more accurate than band saws. But I have seen precision band saws with wide blades that are amazingly accurate. But at a price.

Personally, I prefer a power hacksaw as long as it is heavy enough like the one JRaut purchased. I am looking at a Racine near me but I would venture it is every bit has heavy as the Peerless and maybe more. My issue is I don't believe I can find room in the storage unit. I am currently waiting on a call form someone that has a nice 5hp, 220v, 1ph, 60 gallon Ingersoll-Rand air compressor. Will have to do some real shuffling to get it into storage.

Thanks, @brino. I found a bunch of good stuff over at VintageMachinery.org, but didn't even think to look in our own backyard, so to speak.

Wow! Nice machine, how wide is that blade???
It came with a handful of spare blades. Most are 14" x 1-1/2" x 0.075. And many of the extras are 4 TPI...... not sure I have the cojones to run something like that quite yet...
IMG_7841.JPG
This is mostly because it's not really a fair apples-apples comparison. This Peerless is an industrial, metal-hogging machine with power downfeed (well, strong-spring-assisted downfeed anyway), equipped with a blade with a super aggressive tooth pitch.

The Harbor Freight is but a toy in comparison...

That said, Peerless still---to this day---makes power hacksaws. So they still do have a place in this world.

Back