What Did You Buy Today?

4 TPI! That is seriously aggressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for fun, especially for you Back Easters, here's one for sale in Maryland (though you might have to fight @mmcmdl for it) :)

Bryan ( vtcnc ) and I may just pick this up if the price is right . He suggested we restore it , have a contest of some sort , and give it away to a member on here . Sounds like a plan to me !! :encourage:

Nice meme. Got me thinking as my dad was an engineer for United Technologies testing the Saturn V motors.

Unfortunately though like so many memes this one may be more sentiment than reality. Metric units are, and have been used in scientific applications for obvious reasons. A quick search finds this....

Seems like a well researched and documented piece of writing. Memes are easy but often created for reasons beyond their seemingly simple messages.

John

A couple of new scales for measuring my powders & herbs. Uh, that didn't sound right, I mean my white crystals & spices. Ah never mind! :big grin:

The big one is to replace my HF scale that I used for shipping. My HF scale maxes out at 11 lbs & every once in a while I need to weigh heavier stuff. This one has a max of 70 90 lbs. Not that I need that much but it's nice to have instead of using my bathroom scale. Has a hold button for larger packages that might cover the display when weighing. Smaller one has a higher resolution & I will be using it for my anodizing related powders. It also has a piece counting feature. I used to use an expensive counting scale at work, not sure if it will come in handy at home.
20200827_204425.jpg

A pound of 60/40 solder. I hate lead free solder. This should last me the rest of my life. Also a couple of flux pens, was down to my last one. I use the pens when I'm away from home.
20200827_204633.jpg

Fancy Tsunoda cable tie cutters. I have a thing for unique tools & Japanese market tools. Wasn't planning to use them specifically for zip ties only but they do work pretty good for that.
20200827_211541.jpg20200801_105109.jpg

Replacement tips for my old Matco hammer that's made by Nupla. Seems like this size is uncommon & not very many places carry them. Was surprised to find them at MSC & for half of what Amazon was charging for them, Amazon was out of stock on them too.
20200827_210333.jpg20200827_210432.jpg20200827_210343.jpg

0-1/2" Starrett micrometer. I've been on a quest for tiny 1/2" micrometers. Finally closing that chapter, I think. :)
20200827_204716.jpg

I have another 0-1/2" Starrett with a round anvil & no spindle lock. It won't be so lonely anymore.
20200827_204800.jpg

Carmex 5/8" internal threading bar. Been wanting one that takes 3/8" IC inserts. My other Carmex bar is a 1/2" that takes 1/4" IC inserts & can't cut pitches coarser than 16 TPI.
20200827_204923.jpg20200827_205119.jpg

Big Gator imperial drill guide. Now I just need the imperial tap guide to complete my set. I really like these Big Gator guides.
20200827_205332.jpg20200827_205410.jpg

Ultra thin 1/32" parallel set. Never need them yet but always wanted a set. I noticed the prices have pretty much doubled everywhere so I decided to pick them up while I could still find them cheap.
20200827_211050.jpg

50 pack of the cheap HSS tool bits.
20200827_211111.jpg

The big one is to replace my HF scale that I used for shipping. My HF scale maxes out at 11 lbs & every once in a while I need to weigh heavier stuff. This one has a max of 70 lbs. Not that I need that much but it's nice to have instead of using my bathroom scale. Has a hold button for larger packages that might cover the display when weighing. Smaller one has a higher resolution & I will be using it for my anodizing related powders. It also has a piece counting feature. I used to use an expensive counting scale at work, not sure if it will come in handy at home.
Nice capacity on the larger scale. Does it turn off automatically? I've gotten really ticked off at mine since I bought it ... seems to turn itself off after a way-too-short time, generally just the instant before I put the next item on it !!_%#@*:"^$!! If yours has a decent length of time before shutting itself off, please let us now where you got it. Thanks!

Nice capacity on the larger scale. Does it turn off automatically? I've gotten really ticked off at mine since I bought it ... seems to turn itself off after a way-too-short time, generally just the instant before I put the next item on it !!_%#@*:"^$!! If yours has a decent length of time before shutting itself off, please let us now where you got it. Thanks!

Yes it does turn off automatically, both of them do. That was actually one of the things I was looking for when buying them. My HF scale when I used it for weighing the powders, it would p!ss me off cause it would turn off so fast before I was finished weighing my mix. I did find one scale that had a switch to disable the auto off feature but it had bad reviews. There was another scale used for coffee that had a built in timer. If you enabled the timer it would not auto shutoff. But I don't need a timer & those only had a weight capacity of 3-6 lbs so not good for a shipping scale.

I just tested them. The small scale shuts off after 5 mins which is perfect for me needs for weighing powders. The big scale turns off in only 1 min 40 sec which again is fine for me for a shipping scale. However both these scales will stay on if you plug them in & is one of the reasons why I choose them. And both come with the AC adapters. Actually the big one comes with a USB cord & a USB to AC adapter. So you could even plug it into a computer or USB phone charger. The cord is only for power, not data transfer.

The big scale was pretty cheap too, only $25 from Amazon. However the minimum start weight is 10g. Perfectly fine with me for a shipping scale as long as it will read down to an oz which is does (0.1 oz resolution). Also the reason why I bought two different scales. I searched for days for scales that would suit my needs & weren't crazy expensive.

Edit: Confirmed, plugged the big one into USB, been on for 30 mins now.

Back