What Did You Buy Today?

Found myself a shop stool.
Might take a few inches off the legs so I can add casters.
eefdbd33a8a895d2b1b5a7de05ef7daa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Might take a few inches of the legs so I can add casters.

Nice - and it has to be able to roll around the shop.

Might take a few inches of the legs so I can add casters.

I'd leave it without adding casters. Just an Ol' Goat's observation.
With casters on it - someday, sometime or another you will go to plant your arse on it and it'll be just a bit 'off' and scoot out from under you.
Then it is tailbone against concrete, whilst your hands are occupied and you have no way of breaking your fall.
Takes a while to heal, and I was in my 40's then... -Just saying. :grin:

I'd leave it without adding casters. Just an Ol' Goat's observation.
With casters on it - someday, sometime or another you will go to plant your arse on it and it'll be just a bit 'off' and scoot out from under you.
Then it is tailbone against concrete, whilst your hands are occupied and you have no way of breaking your fall.
Takes a while to heal, and I was in my 40's then... -Just saying. :grin:

Indeed.
In high school I fell exactly as you described when the class bully thought it would be funny to yank my lab stool as I was going to sit.
Hurt like...well you know.

Last edited:
My new Glacern vise arrived in time for my days off. Sitting beside the 5" vise, I think it will be a big improvement for daily use. The 5" vise is a decent quality import but it takes up 1 to 1-1/4" of my already limited Y travel even when set in the furthest back T slot. The 4" vise takes about 1" of travel set in the middle T slot and is nearly flush with the edge of the table when set in the rear T slot. With only about 5-1/2" of Y travel every inch counts.

Glacern 4in vise with 5in vise.jpg

David
Looks like a great score! congrats.
I understand the respect and I am the same, after all it was someones life.

Last edited:
Well, the table top will certainly be sturdy. Just be sure the legs are up to the job ;)
Yeah, for once I will actually need to put some thought into constructing a table, wouldn't want this toppling over! :oops:

How about making a surface plate?
I've considered it! I'm waiting for a quote on surface grinding these as they're quite out of whack and I think they've ever only been skimmed with a fly cutter or similar(judging by the machining marks).
I have a 400x600 granite surface plate, so I might be able to use that for scraping the cast iron ones in but I'm guessing that would be A LOT of work. :grin:

Back