What Did You Buy Today?

I have several projects where they will be usefull, and for what I paid for them, I can afford to have them sit until I need them, and have acquired the skill to use them properly. After they have served their purpose, I will likely sell them off. Mike

I thought there might be a real good price involved. Maybe even a :you suck:

You can't find those in the average used tool shop. Good find.

Bought a U3 universal grinder.
Comes with attachments for end mills, drills and lathe bits.
No piece of metal in my shop is safe now!

No doubt! I love my Shars U3. You are missing one of the most important accessories, though:
912a78LONqL._AC_SS350_.jpg

A few pics of the 8' straight edge. This one was produced by JC Busch CO founded in 1907 https://www.buschprecision.com/Busch-Precision/Contact/About-Us/Our-History.htm and sent to it's demise by some of the regular Wall St. scum in 2017 RIP https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...s-of-busch-precision-being-liquidated-at.html. Appears to either have had very little use, or was scraped back in at some point. Gave it a good scrub down and a coat of WD. Mike

View attachment 338882View attachment 338883View attachment 338884View attachment 338886View attachment 338887View attachment 338888
I'm guessing that's a two person lift!

I'm able to move it myself, but using it by yourself would be another story. Cheers,

Quote: I'm guessing that's a two person lift!

c75db7f50d4c06c43e96cfd5575abf7e.jpg

I got me a little angle table to put on my surface grinder so I can sharpen my carbide scraper blade.

7539abe4e850072e541d65af5ef51811.jpg

I got some 240grit and 600 grit diamond wheels off amazon for under $12 each. What a deal these are 5” wheels too.

Got a couple of things from Shars today.

IMG_3923.JPG

I needed a new dead center to replace one of mine that had a broken tip. It was that way when I bought my lathe. The new dead center has a straight section between the body and the center. Mr. Pete has a video where he turned a MT2 / Jacobs chuck adapter so he could align his tailstock. I turned the straight section to be concentric with spindle. I zeroed the DI on dead center at the spindle and then moved the dead center to the tailstock. Moved the carriage so the DI was on the dead center at the tailstock. The tailstock was 0.001 off. Fixed that. The thing that I like about this method to align the tailstock is that you can align the tailstock anywhere along the bed.

IMG_3921.JPG

The other thing I got was a holder for a DI to a magnetic based. I never liked the contraption I cobbled together to be able realign the head on the mill/drill. My new setup is much easier to use. Here are the before and after pictures. Anytime I move the head for whatever reason I always realign the head. Having a convenient way to do this is a big time saver. In the pictures you can see the swivel base from the mill vise. It permanently lives on the table. I made a backing plate for it that fits my chucks. I spent a lot of time one day dialing it in and have the coordinates written down so I can quickly center it under the spindle. While nowhere near as good as a rotary table it does allow me to make angled cuts, drill holes in a bolt circle and even make light radius cuts as I rotate the chuck by hand.

IMG_3818.JPG IMG_3922.JPG

It is a bigg'in . I think they will be going upstairs in the bar area of the shop for the short term, until I'm done with everything downstairs. Then I will find a home for them in the machine shop area. Probably display them on the wall, well supported. Mike

Couple of pairs of small V-blocks and a test sample of A-9 cutting fluid. The only other experience I have with Relton products is their RapidTap which makes me gag with the smell so wasn’t sure if the A-9 would be similar. Fortunately not, quite pleasant actually, so looking forward to seeing how it works. The setup blocks are predictable — they’ll benefit from a little cleanup and easing of edges but otherwise ok. I wanted some to use on the saws other than my nice pair of Fischer ones. Plus, these come with their own inspection certificates!! :D

19AA3764-5C9C-441E-8F57-83CBA9145F15.jpeg

Back