What Did You Buy Today?

I have seen specialty vfd's that hook into both the main and start windings on a single phase motor and run them... but it's been a while.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Straightening out the storage room in the basement and I came across two boxes from an estate sale quite a while back.
Memory fade?

This was in one of them. Check out the price!

1101201622R.jpg

Nice metal case.
Neat can of oil.
Anyone know what 'NITRO POWDER SOLVENT' is?
1101201623R.jpg

1101201623_HDR_R.jpg
Only thing is, I don't own a .30 cal rifle. . .

Modern gunpowder is known to chemists as "Nitro Cellulose" or Guncotton based propellent. It is made by soaking cotton in a mixture of nitric and sulphuric acid.

The solvent is for removing traces of the gunpowder from the bore. A different solvent is used for Black Powder.

Couple of pick-ups off eBay. First was a lifetime supply of 5/8" copper rod stock. A lot of my work involves spot welding sheet metal. My welder uses 5/8" diameter tips of which I've made many of over the years. I've made ones with offset points so I can get right up to the edge of a box (for example). I recall paying around $35 (with shipping) for a 1 foot length of either 101 or 110 copper from On Line Metals years ago. I had maybe 3" left of the original rod, so jumped on a buy it now for $30 shipped for this stock.

I don't do a lot of pipe threading though I recently did some work on 1/2" black pipe to add a nice heater to my shop. I have a hand pipe threader for 1/2" and 3/4" pipe, these dies are for 1/8", 1/4" and 3/8" so pretty set now for doing pipe.

Thanks for looking.

Bruce

Lifetime supply of 5/8" copper rod for making spot welding tips for my welder.
20201017_155807.jpg
20201017_155837.jpg

1/8", 1/4" and 3/8" pipe dies
20201017_160031.jpg

Modern gunpowder is known to chemists as "Nitro Cellulose" or Guncotton based propellent. It is made by soaking cotton in a mixture of nitric and sulphuric acid.

The solvent is for removing traces of the gunpowder from the bore. A different solvent is used for Black Powder.

Makes me wonder how old that set is, it sounds like term "nitro" for smokeless powders went out of style around WW2.

Blackpowder can be cleaned with water.

Makes me wonder how old that set is, it sounds like term "nitro" for smokeless powders went out of style around WW2.

Blackpowder can be cleaned with water.

I agree, but the term is still used. I think of nitro solvents as analine, nitrobenzene, and other nitrogenous solvents. That's what nitro solvent usually gets you at a hardware store, or at least it used to.

Back