What Did You Buy Today?

That lifting point where the ring is, is NOT designed to lift the entire machine.
This doesnt mean you can't get "lucky" once in a while BUT using that lifting point for the entire machine is like rolling dice in Vegas....
I agree with you. I looked at the rating of the ring AFTER the mill was in the workshop and it's only rated at 0.63T. The machine weighs about 1000kg so I won't be gambling with the ring again. The intension was actually to lift with the sling as that's how they show to do it in the manuals, but it ended up getting lifted with the chain.

I agree with you. I looked at the rating of the ring AFTER the mill was in the workshop and it's only rated at 0.63T. The machine weighs about 1000kg so I won't be gambling with the ring again. The intension was actually to lift with the sling as that's how they show to do it in the manuals, but it ended up getting lifted with the chain.
At least you had both, so the sling was a safety.

I've always disliked the import boring head for my mill. It's a bit crunchy and I always struggled to hit dimensions with it. My current project has me machining some bearing seats on the mill, so I decided it was time to step up to something better.

These things are expensive, but the quality difference is amazing. I can't wait to try this thing out.
PXL_20210329_232659401.jpg

(Also, I have no clue how to use this thing, it blows my mind that this can also face.)

Would you like to share the cost with us?
I'm not impressed with the import unit i have also.
Top score. Cheers Alby

I paid about $625 for this one. There were some that were cheaper on eBay, but this one looked pretty clean. There are also much, much cheaper options on eBay that don't do facing or tenths precision. I know I saw tons of Criterion boring heads all over for like $150-300.

EDIT: I should say that the $150-300 is based off of my terribly hazy memory.

The Criterion head that I have looks primitive compared to that :(

Wohlhaupter boring head is on my bucket list, but I haven't even used my Criterion yet.
Nice score.

Very nice boring & facing head. There is a lot of videos on YouTube on the Boring & Facing Heads.

Back