What Did You Buy Today?

Well as my girlfriend would say I have a problem because I took a trip this morning while she was out of town and I came home with this lol
A sterling drill bit grinder that’s in really good shape and the price was right !!!! I also made a deal on a DoAll surface grinder that the guy had there also !!! But that will be next month when I have time to go back and get it
Nice score. I bought one last year. Company is still making these so parts and grinding wheels are available which is nice.

Nice score. I bought one last year. Company is still making these so parts and grinding wheels are available which is nice.
Thanks !!! I got it from the same guy I got my Monarch series 60 from and I made a deal for a DoAll surface grinder to

A Small Ebay Purchase, And A Story...

So, I placed an order Wednesday for a 3" Moore and Wright machinists square from eBay. Price was good and the seller has high
ratings and lots of history. Next day I get a message that the part has shipped. Looking at the tracking info, I notice the tracking
number is tied to a shipper called ZNLOGIC, who I've never heard of. A Google search led me to some info from the eBay community
page from 2018 indicating that both ZNLOGIC is a scam, and is actually legitimate. It also indicated that the part shipped from an
Amazon facility in Hillsboro, Oregon which is about 30 miles from where I live. Hmmm. Not sure what to make of this, so I contacted
Amazon customer service via Chat to see if ZNLOGIC is a company they do business with. After a lengthy question and answer session,
the answer was that they didn't know, and couldn't find out. Amazon does business with the usual major shippers, has their own shipping
organization, and utilizes a network of independent shippers which, I assume vary with the location of the Amazon warehouse. And, because
I ordered from eBay, they couldn't look up the order. All this occurred Saturday morning.

So, after a considerable amount of time and effort, I simply could not determine if I had been scammed or not. ZNLOGIC is almost
certainly Chinese. I also learned that some eBay sellers will purchase goods off Amazon and have them drop shipped directly to
the customer, though I was uncertain how that would work. So, I decided to wait and see if the part showed up or not, since I figured
between eBay and Paypal I could probably get my money back. It showed up Saturday in Amazon packaging with Gift Receipt enclosed.
That explains how the eBay seller drop shipped to me. So, in the end I'm a happy camper, but I found the whole deal a bit disturbing.
It occurred to me that ZNLOGIC could have been a scam originally, but that they changed their
business model to a legitimate business. It's getting weird out there folks...

IMG_1388.jpeg

Last edited:
I had used up ALL of my brazing flux + C-04 brazing rod on a huge project, so I replenished my principle brazing consumables:

(1) two lbs. of 1/16” C-04 nickel bronze rod,
(2) two lbs. of 3/32” of the same, and
(3) two lbs. of Gasflux Type “B” bronze paste flux.

$111.65 delivered (ouch!)

Everybody should know that these products (both made by Gasflux) are designed to work together. That is, this flux becomes clear right at the melting point of the C-04 rod.

You can save money & use any bronze brazing flux & low fuming bronze (LFB) rod, but you may or may not get a perfect “flux becomes clear at bronze melting point temperature” match.

The other alternative is the flux coated LFB rods (I like the ones made by Blue Demon). I use those for small jobs. They work really well.

When I posted the above, I remembered that I had also completely depleted my supply of LFBFC (low fuming bronze, flux coated).

It was only $46.93 delivered for 1 lb. each of 1/16”, 3/32” and 1/8” Blue Demon Flux Coated Brazing Rods as below:

These are really easy to use & they have never failed me.

Last edited:
I had used up ALL of my brazing flux + C-04 brazing rod on a huge project, so I replenished my principle brazing consumables:

(1) two lbs. of 1/16” C-04 nickel bronze rod,
(2) two lbs. of 3/32” of the same, and
(3) two lbs. of Gasflux Type “B” bronze paste flux.

$111.65 delivered (ouch!)

Everybody should know that these products (both made by Gasflux) are designed to work together. That is, this flux becomes clear right at the melting point of the C-04 rod.

You can save money & use any bronze brazing flux & low fuming bronze (LFB) rod, but you may or may not get a perfect “flux becomes clear at bronze melting point temperature” match.

The other alternative is the flux coated LFB rods (I like the ones made by Blue Demon). I use those for small jobs. They work really well.
I have only done a little brazing and always with the flux coated. When using the paste do you put the paste down first like when soldering? Or what is the proper method to apply?

I have only done a little brazing and always with the flux coated. When using the paste do you put the paste down first like when soldering? Or what is the proper method to apply?

Using an acid brush, one “paints on” this flux paste anywhere which may be in or quite near to the HAZ. It is okay to use a little too much flux paste (because the flux is inexpensive & the excess will just drip off onto the floor, fire brick, welding table, etc.).

If you cheap out & try to save 10 cents on flux, you risk oxidation.

Once the work area is covered in flux, I use an O/A brazing tip (same as my gas welding tip) to gently bring the work area to brazing temp. You’re watching the color of the flux.

The flux goes from it’s initial blue color to a milky color, and, once the flux is clear, you can apply the C-04 bonze rod (bare LFB also works well), and it will melt & wet in.

With NO quenching, allow to cool, & this flux will be like glass, same as with the flux coated rods.

If possible, I soak the brazed joint in hot soapy water for several hours. I scrub off the glassy, dried flux with warm soapy water & thoroughly rinse with water.

This water based paste flux will dry out in the jar after a few months. I just add a little tap water whereupon I can regulate the viscosity to my liking.

Last edited:
Picked up 80' of 4x6x.25 I-beam, and 60' of 8"x2.5x.25 channel for $230. went on line this morning to check steel prices. They want $54 for 1' of
2 1/2"x.25 mild steel square tubing. He has a ton of similar and much larger structural steel, all never used left over from a power plant job. going to make him an offer for all of it. We will see. Also bought a walking beam axle trailer from the same guy. Very heavy duty, factory made, with adjustable length tongue. Will be cutting off the rancher made, deck and re-configuring for my own use. Picked that up for $250. Happy shopping, Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20210509_103334050.jpg
    IMG_20210509_103334050.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20210502_130641825.jpg
    IMG_20210502_130641825.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210502_130700466.jpg
    IMG_20210502_130700466.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 34
Back