What Did You Buy Today?

I couldn't help myself.
Delivered for $219.
The reviews are great. I watched the Bundy Bears video on tearing it down, clean and oil etc.
In fact, I got a decline notice on my credit card as they questioned the purchase. I went back in and bought it again.
Now I have two coming.
Anybody near the Sacramento area that needs a B&S 0 knock off? I'll sell it to you for $219.
If I return it I have to pay shipping.
I purchased one of these a year ago. Did the same tear down. It is a nice piece. Once all the grit came out and I added / made the new parts it became as smooth as I could ask it to be.

Got an Ebay,long nose 3MT live center in today. Can't believe I've gone all these years with a std length version.

Been shopping for a 4", 4 jaw chuck to mount on a Yuasa 5C indexer. I got the backing plate last week..... just being patient,hopefully find something nice(vs lowend Chinese).
Like this?

That's one way Janderso,and I considered it. The outside of the Yuasa spindle is threaded,so a 4" backing plate was threaded to go on it.

Bought one of those insert shell mills from Shrum Solutions that are designed for low-horsepower machines. Holy crap, am I impressed! I didn't actually get a picture of the shell mill, but here's a photo of the finish it left in some A2 tool steel:
P6241425-smol.JPG

I'm super happy with it. I was taking .015" DOC passes, spinning at ~600 RPM.

EDIT: I think I need to tram my mill in again, but even with that, this is one of the best finishes I've ever gotten straight off of the mill.

I bought my second HF 6" digital caliper. My first was about 1-2 years old and was nearing it end-of-life. It was getting harder and harder to move. Plus, I was using the jaws ends (tips?) to scribe on my parts, but they were getting dull. I consider it a disposable tool and so I bought my second. I have no regrets and so I'm on my second one. I also just bought a Shars 6" digital caliper and will use it more carefully and when I need a more accurate measurement (no scribing with this one!).

As a test, I measured a 1-2-3 block with both. The Shars was spot on. The HF was off about 0.0015" on the 3" side. Not bad for under $20. Surprisingly, the checkout clerk tried to sell me an extended warranty for $8.50! It's a $20 tool! :D

I got this slick new (to me) Lenz LKD II taper boring head. If you've seen a Tree taper boring head, this is like one of those on steroids.

It can be used (1) as a regular boring head; (2) as a facing head (like the Wohlhaupter); or (3) to taper-bore either an inside or outside cone.

And unlike the Tree, it's pretty well balanced, so it doesn't cause an earthquake above 500 RPM.

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

wow, that is wild! never seen anything like that before. Makes my head hurt just trying to think how it works.

Devils4ever - iGaging digital calipers are really nice. I've had mine 5 or 6 years and it still repeats very closely. I'll be buying another when this one bites the dust or gets relegated to drill press DRO duty.

Finally finished setting up my new Tormach 1100MX. Took me about a month but really only about 23 hours total based on my video files. I had a couple of other customer projects to complete, and getting my oldest off to college so a new student orientation day, and that yard work is really cutting into my fun time!

This video shows the full installation and set up of the Automatic Tool Changer (ATC), the initial boot up of PathPilot and watching me like a 2 year old with a typewriter trying to figure out how to run it. I also show the full build out of the enclosure. Even in high speed it takes a few minutes to build that out and I narrated over top to hit the highlights and challenges of getting this all together.

Overall assembly went well and this weekend I will be trying to create and send my first program to make some chips!

Back