What Did You Buy Today?

Tailstock die holder.
Follow up to my purchase.
Yesterday I made 3 odd ball studs for a setup on a wood shaper. First time using the very cheap, very nicely made in India, tailstock die holder. M12-1.75 , 1 1/2" die, slick and easy. 1/2" steel, 7.75" long, turned to 12mm each end, chamfer, thread @ 40rpm, hex block on mill cut 7/16" wrench flats 2" from one end. I've used various methods in the past to get started straight. This is a winner.

Tailstock die holder.
Yesterday I made 3 odd ball studs for a setup on a wood shaper. First time using the very cheap, very nicely made in India, tailstock die holder. M12-1.75 , 1 1/2" die, slick and easy. 1/2" steel, 7.75" long, turned to 12mm each end, chamfer, thread @ 40rpm, hex block on mill cut 7/16" wrench flats 2" from one end. I've used various methods in the past to get started straight. This is a winner.
I have used a standard die holder but used the tail stock quill to push on the back of the die to get it aligned. Works pretty well, but I can see the advantages of this tool too.

Tailstock die holder.
I purchased a tailstock die holder from Neils Niche many years ago. Its been great. Real time saver. Now I can handle dies up to 1.5", taps bigger than anything I will ever need. I made one for a 2" die out of a massive piece of 12L14 that runs on a piece of half inch TGP tool steel. I just insert it in a drill chuck.

If you're considering selling one of them ... Before doing so, do a head-to-head function test. Get each one well centered, then keep the one that has less wobbulation. I've got one that wobbles by about 1 1/2 thousandths, even when fully centered. I guess the "swash plate" isn't perpendicular to the rotation axis. !!)^*((@%$*(&!^^!!!!

I bought a back plate to mount a 3 jaw on my rotary table. Unfortunately, the threaded mounting holes are drilled way crooked. It is going back immediately!

1628035501543.png

Does that look even close to straight? How does this crap happen?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a back plate for a 5" chuck on a 6" rotary table? While were at it, how do you get the MT2 stub correct so the back plate meets the table surface?
Robert

Back