What Did You Buy Today?

Ignorance is a bliss... So I have been using my humble G0704 mill since 2015 for small things... a couple of brake caliper modifications... helping a friend making a mount for a motorcycle steering damper... just making chips cutting scrap aluminum I buy at the local metal supplier... Even used it to make a wood cap for my coffee grinder...

Grinder Cap.jpg

It was't until I started working on converting it to CNC, with the machine out of commission, that I really started to look at how to use it correctly... meaning, I never checked anything on it.

The vise, ha! I aligned it using a machinist square... Tramming the mill? What the heck is that!?

It wasn't until someone here suggested I looked at videos from Blondihacks (watching her Mill and Lathe series for beginners) and then from there jumping to other video series from other folks (mrpete222, oxtoolco, Keith Rucker, Tom Techniques, and several others) that I started to realize how to walk towards the correct path...

I must admit the wrong of my ways... So now I am doing something about it... Between ordering the lathe in a few weeks and having taken apart and assembled back the mill, this has encouraged me to learn more on how to do things correctly. So I ordered a few books, ordering all the tools you have seen me share here... and some more... searching the forum for what other beginners ask (there is a lot that I do not know to even ask... so reading those threads helps a lot)...

Now, I know, I read this here as well... we come here to make the tools... not to buy tools we can make. Well, that is not my reality right now, but I will get there. Really looking forward to that.

I saw the video on the Mill Tutorial 2 - Setup, and realized that I did not even had the holders to validate the setup of my milling machine...

Long post to share that I ordered a few tools to make sure my mill was put together back correctly... I ordered a tramming tool... a shank mount indicator holder (so I can index the vise)...

Mill Tramming Tool.jpeg

Indicator holder.jpg

I did indulged also on a vise jaw stop (another project I had on the list to make myself)...

Vise Jaw Stop.jpg

That is all for now... back to watching a few more videos and reading some more threads... I should be getting ready for my trip in the morning... one more video, one more video...

Last edited:
Picked up these Lunkenheimer Royal #5 oilers for the Niles lathe, from a new friend who is selling off a three generation family excavating business. Have bought a lot of steel stock, and quite a few other items from him in the last few months. They have shut the sale down temporairilly, and are reorganizing, and bringing out pallet after pallet of tools and parts from outlying buildings, and will be reopening the sale in September. I stopped in to see if he happened to have any brass round stock, and when I told him I was going to make brass and glass oilers for my lathe, he said you know I have some of those. The universe works in mysterious ways. Need to adapt them down from 1/2" npt on the oiler, to what ever the thread on the bearing cap is. I think they look right at home. Cheers, MikeIMG_20210803_192305860.jpgIMG_20210803_192317341.jpgIMG_20210803_192331862.jpg

It seems like there's oilers would be a great project! You can buy those glass cylinders at McMaster
R

That was my plan, but after pricing 3.25"x 12" brass stock @ $425 + shipping I was looking at other options. Was considering melting down a bunch of brass fittings and such I have been hording, but for what I paid for these, it would have been kind of silly considering everything else on my to do list. That and the fact that there are long slender needle valves to control the flow that would have been pretty challenging to create, not to mention the small sight glass at the base that allows you to see the rate of flow. Will post some pics of it disassembled later today. Mike

It seems like there's oilers would be a great project! You can buy those glass cylinders at McMaster
R

That was my plan, but after pricing 3.25"x 12" brass stock @ $425 + shipping I was looking at other options. Was considering melting down a bunch of brass fittings and such I have been hording, but for what I paid for these, it would have been kind of silly considering everything else on my to do list. That and the fact that there are long slender needle valves to control the flow that would have been pretty challenging to create, not to mention the small sight glass at the base that allows you to see the rate of flow. Will post some pics of it disassembled later today. Mike
I have been trying to locate one of those for my lathe. The new ones are not as nice as the older ones. Great find!

If you come across another one that you don't need let me know. That would fit perfect for my lathe modification project.

Not looking for an antique. I would never place an antique on my lathe which is more modern. I want something functional but looks nice.

Will send a PM.

I am very impressed with this tap and die holder set for lathes. It was cheap and the quality and finish surprised the heck out of me.
I have to use an MT-3 to 4 adapter but that's no big deal

Attachments

• tap 2.jpg
    tap 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • tap 3.jpg
    tap 3.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 28
Back