What Did You Buy Today?

I got the bottom box a couple of weeks ago. Top and side box came in today. This one is a 44" main box with a 14 1/2" side box. Now to start moving stuff over and re-labeling all of the drawers.

Bruce

20210823_172923.jpg

This will be the last order for the year (unless the lathe arrives this year)...

I want to build Harold Hall Advanced Grinding Rest...

LrgGrindRest01.jpeg

so ordered the following:

Milling for Home Machinists by Harold Hall - call me old school... I like the feel of books in my hand over a pdf... I do read the pdf on the computer since I am in front of the computer for over 12 hours a day... and as I type this, I am also going over the pdf for Workshop Practices Series #35 and looking also at that photo, realizing that I will need a lathe to finish this one... So I guess I will be making the Simpler Rest first... sigh...

A kit with an assortment of resistors... for the CNC conversion on the Mill... turns out that I can't find the first box I ordered... goodness! I only need a few 220 ohms resistors, but this way I can loose the box again when I need some more :rolleyes:

A 60 Degree Indexable Dovetail Cutter, 2 Flute, 3/4" Cutting Diameter, 3/8" Shank with a few spare carbide inserts.

Accusize Industrial Tools Indexable End Mill with 3 Pcs Tpg32 Carbide Inserts, 2'' Cutting Diameter, 3/4'' Straight Shank with some spare carbide inserts

I wanted a set of machinist parallel clamps... just because... to look at them, to touch them, to see myself making them in the future... Yeah, eventually I want to make a set... So got some inexpensive 1-1/2" Grizzly Industrial T10079 - Machinist/Toolmakers Parallel Clamps

Toolmakers Parallel Clamp.jpg

That is it for this year... unless I need something else to finish the CNC conversion for my G0704...

I do have a bandsaw, but it’s not on a stand. View attachment 375999
I don’t have space for anything bigger. My workshop is tiny.
View attachment 376000Thats it in all its glory - 8’ x 8’ :)

the little Milwaukee bandsaw is pretty much going to be used instead of a hacksaw… for the small or awkward bits that won’t fit or clamp in the ‘big’ saw. I’m a lazy sod. :D
That is one cool shop. Great job maximizing available space!! Shows me that there is really no excuse, space wise, to do this... Thank you for sharing!

You know... there is really no need to encourage me guys... You are a bad influence, in a good way of course. :D

Ordered two kits from Doug, to get me started when the time comes...

Pair 3" Machinist Clamps Complete Kit

Toolmaker's Clamp Kit

I will make sure to get some additional stock from the local supplier to be ready to recover from the mistakes, hahahahahaha... Can't wait!

Last edited:
Well I got a good deal off ebay on a B&S 624 Surface Planer Gauge & Bubble Level. It needed a good cleaning & I was running low on Metal Rescue (AKA Evaporust), so I also bought 3 gallons & a bucket. That stuff is getting expensive.

Attachments

• B&S 624 Surface Planer Gauge & Bubble Level 20210820 03.jpg
    B&S 624 Surface Planer Gauge & Bubble Level 20210820 03.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 22
Surface table arrived yesterday (3"x12"x18")... I underestimated the weight and how difficult it would be to move this around... There is really no putting this away and taking it out when needed. I will have to place it on a table with wheels to move it around.

IMG_2030.jpeg

IMG_2031.jpeg

Maybe a great opportunity to get a small roller tool cabinet, place this on top, and store most of the tools for the mill and lathe in there.

Last edited:
Or you could get some of these

I got some and put them under my plate, and roll it out of the way into the far corner of my bench when not in use. I cover it with a mat, and my spare batteries and what nots usually collect on it. :)

Back