What Did You Buy Today?

Surface table arrived yesterday (3"x12"x18")... I underestimated the weight and how difficult it would be to move this around... There is really no putting this away and taking it out when needed. I will have to place it on a table with wheels to move it around.
Maybe a great opportunity to get a small roller tool cabinet, place this on top, and store most of the tools for the mill and lathe in there.
As you've recently found out surface plates are heavy. A few years ago I purchased a 24"x 36" Challenge brand cast iron plate that originally belonged to the company I worked for. I didn't realize how heavy it was until I loaded it in my truck. I found out the hard way it weighed 475 lbs. It was all I could do to get it in the back of the truck.

Unloading it was another "Eat Your Wheaties " exercise. A friend and I carried it from the truck, through the kitchen, and down the stairs to the shop. It was all brute strength since there was no room for a dolly around the island in the kitchen. We barely got it to the bottom of the stairs before we ran out of strength. It sat on it's edge for about half an hour while we collected our wits and got the stand down to the shop.

The final move was to lift it onto the stand. It took all we could do, and we were sweating bullets to get it positioned before it fell on one of us. Fortunately the stand has wheels so we could eventually roll it into place next to one of the lathes. I made a thin plywood cover for it to keep it from getting damaged when not in use.

I do use it a few times a month, but at my age it's hard to just pull it into the middle of the room. I can't imagine carrying it down there a second time, and have no idea how it will be moved if we sell the house. I do know if we move the shop will be a separate building or a minimum of a dedicated room on ground level.

I reckon getting the iron surface plate out of your basement is going to go something like this:
_106841898_billericaycrane.jpg

Or you could get some of these

I got some and put them under my plate, and roll it out of the way into the far corner of my bench when not in use. I cover it with a mat, and my spare batteries and what nots usually collect on it. :)
I only currently have one bench at this time and it is a do-it-all bench... so I do not feel comfortable placing it there.. If I had another bench, then yeah...

I do need a rolling tool box anyway, so this is just the final push to get me to buy one. It will need to be the smallest I can find to avoid filling it with too much stuff and them becoming a fixed box due to the weight.

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure that "today" is when I bought it. But I'm the cautiously optimistic new owner of a Rockwell Vertical miller. This purchase is pure speculation, as I've never even seen it in person. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• C2BFEF93-E500-4CC1-B33C-A1ACEF99970C.jpeg
    C2BFEF93-E500-4CC1-B33C-A1ACEF99970C.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 54
I love my Rockwell mill! It's a sweet HSM machine
Well I'm certainly hoping there's nothing broken and it'll just be a simple cleaning and oiling job. But I also know that I haven't ever been quite that lucky before. Time will tell!

The other day I was bombarded with Husky toolbox overstock sales from Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight etc. This got me thinking. Hey, $87 for a 400 pound toolbox makes you think - but I had to pull out of any commitment. $13 for shipping! Lately, all my efforts lean toward organization. It's a challenge when working out of a 2 car garage. So, I bought 3 little Wards 4 drawer boxes instead & placed them under my Kennedy.

Attachments

• 20210828 01.jpg
    20210828 01.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
Surface table arrived yesterday (3"x12"x18")... I underestimated the weight and how difficult it would be to move this around... There is really no putting this away and taking it out when needed. I will have to place it on a table with wheels to move it around.

View attachment 376286

View attachment 376287

Maybe a great opportunity to get a small roller tool cabinet, place this on top, and store most of the tools for the mill and lathe in there.

I put my 12x18" cast iron surface plate in a Harbor Freight 5 drawer cart. These have a top lid, so the surface plate is covered and you have a work top available when not using the surface plate. I also used one of the drawers for a 9x12" granite surface plate.

My cart of flatnessFlatness.jpg

Well I'm not sure that "today" is when I bought it. But I'm the cautiously optimistic new owner of a Rockwell Vertical miller. This purchase is pure speculation, as I've never even seen it in person. Wish me luck!

Those are a nice size mill for a small shop, I have a Clausing mill that is about the same size. Hope it doesn't have any surprises.

Back