What Did You Buy Today?

Weren't you supposed to pre drill it, hello.... :grin:

Weren't you supposed to pre drill it, hello.... :grin:
The corkscrew went in fine, without distortion. But it was made of the weakest material and distorted when I tried to pull the cork. I just checked, the corkscrew is magnetic.

Don't just lop them off blindly...... be sure to leave enough to eject them from the tail-stock.

-brino
For a mini-lathe, at least my mini-lathe, one needs to grind it all off. If you leave some of the tang, the taper won't even seat. It will eject as long as the "tang" extends 2-3mm past the end of the taper.
PXL_20210928_000620660.jpg
Top one doesn't quite seat correctly. Will spin under load. I need to grind it a little bit more. Bottom taper (Jacobs arbor) I had to fully grind off the tang. It seats correctly and is ejected properly in my mini-lathe.

Not joking about the corkscrew. I bought this while in China in 2000. First use, in the desert, far away from anywhere, on a bottle of wine netted me this and an unopened bottle of wine. I was so astonished, I saved this corkscrew and brought it home. Had to use the knife blade to cut out the cork. Cork everywhere, including in the wine.
View attachment 380029

Bottom line... nothing was going to stop you from getting to the wine. :D

Bottom line... nothing was going to stop you from getting to the wine. :D
You better believe it :grin: I had bought that knife with the corkscrew in a department store, a few days earlier. As evening fell, we were gathered around while sitting on top of a giant sand dune, 30m high?, and someone pulled out a bottle of wine. I said, (confidently,) I got this covered. Got to say, we had quite a laugh when pulling the cork resulted in a stretched corkscrew. That was before having the wine. After that, I was determined. No cork was going to stop me.

@hman nice. I like those bottom cabinets. I just found one in wood the other day similar size, but it's going to my son this weekend. That was a good find at Ikea.

@Logan 400, @woodchucker, @C-Bag ... Just to add to the party ... check post #183 at https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...did-you-make-in-your-shop-today.67833/page-19
-or-
Post #6 at https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/metal-drawers.77137/#post-649377

I'd have posted the photos here, except I keep getting a strange error - "Parsing response failed" when I try.
I remember those….now :) While we were discussing this I did a quick search and did something I usually never do and that’s a general search and missed this, it was in the free section! I hardly ever look there either.
1632798294939.jpeg

Back