What Did You Buy Today?

Finally broke down and purchased an internal mic. I decided on electronic to cut down on the squinting. I wish these units were a little smaller, like the standard units, but I guess you can't have large digits in small places. Its not Mitutoyo but I think it will be better than stuffing calipers down a hole and wiggling them around until I get the largest reading.
View attachment 380222
Very cool. What is the size range on that unit?

Snagged a new "toy". It probably cost too much but is something I wanted rather than needed. There was a post the last week or two about a tap for "6/16 inch". Curiosity about why such a numbering system. I snagged an entire set of "bicycle" threads, Sears & Robuck, that has a number of taps and dies(?) for such threads. I interpreted the 6/16 as 3/8 inch. Looking at the 1/2 inch dies, that looks reasonable. What got my attention was the odd thread pitches, 1/8-42 which equates to a Nr 5 screw size, 1/4-24 and 32, 5/16-22 and 26, and the like. Also a Left Hand 1/2-20 and 24. The odd thread pitches are probobly archaic and obsolete. I doubt I'll ever use them, but may do so just to mess with somebody's head. The 1/8 screw is likely a match for a "stove bolt" to my father's time when I was little. It'll take a week or 10 days to know for sure once it gets here.

View attachment 379548

Wednesday, 210929(?): This "set" showed up in the mail. I was duly impressed, it was packaged like an antique. Which it appears to be, although I did acquire it for tinkering. Not sure how long it's been that Sears sold tap sets in a wooden case. But it's a Butterfield set, made for Sears. I've worked with Butterfield taps, they're good. I would speculate it as pre-WW2. The dies are thread cutting dies, not thread restorers. So I have to assume the taps are as well. Looks like I'll be having some "fun" in the future. The 1/2-20 Left Hand already has some work cut out for it. I have a die for 1/2-20 Left Hand but it didn't want to start. I'll try this one about half way through and tighten as I go. Maybe that will give me a good start.
Finally broke down and purchased an internal mic. I decided on electronic to cut down on the squinting. I wish these units were a little smaller, like the standard units, but I guess you can't have large digits in small places. Its not Mitutoyo but I think it will be better than stuffing calipers down a hole and wiggling them around until I get the largest reading.
I have an inside mic, although I never use it. A salvage buy. . . It isn't a digital, though. Like a regular mic with add on extensions. Up to a couple of feet if all the extensions are put on, maybe for 12":1' steam cylinders. Smallest it will go is about 2 inches. I do tinker with scale (small) steam engines, maybe that digital is what I really need. Calipers and a brake cylinger hone do marginal (leaky) work.

Probably a little smaller than that. The anvils extend beyond the pins at the closer.
Papa, Now that I think about it you have to be 100% correct, couldn't have the pins touching or there would be no material between them to hold them in place.

My adult beverages are on hold for awhile, so I can't blame DWCC(drinking with credit card), but it was a late night order. I remembered I was running out of Pig Mat, and ordered 2 rolls. I wonder if I have enough? The bad thing is, it's not perforated for half sheets.

My adult beverages are on hold for awhile, so I can't blame DWCC(drinking with credit card), but it was a late night order. I remembered I was running out of Pig Mat, and ordered 2 rolls. I wonder if I have enough? The bad thing is, it's not perforated for half sheets.
that's a big roll. I think the dog thinks it's a pee pad.

I wouldnt be afraid to be really messy if I had a stash like that!

She has never had a pee pad, she barks at the door if she has to go out. :)
Any good paper cutters out there to buy?

Back