What Did You Buy Today?

Thanks, it looks like your boring bar is also negative rake, that's what I was curious about.
I think one of your holders looks like it is not sitting flat. The straight in turning piece. I decided to try modifying it.
I first took a stone out, but then tried a needle file. They are not hardened and the needle file is working. I am moving ahead slowly. But I think I can move the pocket back a few thou and have it sit flat.

humm... you might be correct. I will check them against a light.

I have both sitting flat. The filing was not too bad. Just take it slow, and check often. Use a file with a safety edge (no cut).

Thank you for noticing that.

IMG_2581.jpeg

The stuff you see on the tip is just debris... I cleaned that after taking the photo... the gap was still there after cleaning it... so it needed to be flatten with the file...

IMG_2582.jpeg

Done! Minimal clean up required...

IMG_2585.jpeg
IMG_2583.jpeg

The delivery truck brought me another gift yesterday...

20211005_092414.jpg

...a wood box with 29 Hendey #3 collets...

These 29, along with the collets that came with my last Hendey lathe, will give me a full set of #3 collets from 1/8" to 7/8" in 1/32" increments... along with a few 64ths sizes.

-Bear

@wachuko when I get a chance later, I will show you what I had to do. I had to move my pocket back, since the screw was not lining up.
That's what I thought was wrong with yours too. But there are different ways to solve problems. Looks like it worked.

eBay listing pics, as I literally just pounced on this. 5 1/4” six jaw set true chuck. Listing just said ‘English, precision’ and looking at other similar vintage chucks I believe it’s a Pratt - Burnerd. Which if it is I just stole it. :cool:View attachment 381017View attachment 381018View attachment 381019
Ill have to make a back plate but that’s no big deal… but ya, new chuck. And lesser yay - cast iron dust everywhere again. :)
That's a set true!!
You scored dude.

Thank you for noticing that.

View attachment 381128

The stuff you see on the tip is just debris... I cleaned that after taking the photo... the gap was still there after cleaning it... so it needed to be flatten with the file...

Done! Minimal clean up required...

View attachment 381130
Here's how I fixed mine.
I filed a little off the pocket to move the carbide slightly back so it had room for the mis-aligned screw to pull down correctly. Now that you have fixed yours, don't do the same, or you will be back in worse shape.
edit: also if you are new to carbide, do not over tighten the screw. Many do, they are easy to strip out. They require a snug, then just a little more.
LH_fixed_ls.jpgLH_fixed_rs.jpg

Found this an hour away…

AD929668-5640-438E-ACBE-8C253805E7F7.jpg
906F5B5B-9952-493E-9EDE-6E1AC91CC7C0.jpg
I did not even haggled…he was asking 75.00 . I gave him 80.00 since I didn’t have change…. When he saw that, he pulled a spare motor he had and gave it as part of the deal…

It was his grandfather’s

Belt guard was missing

Driving back home with it…

I blame @yota :D

Last edited:
Back