What Did You Buy Today?

Finally gritted my teeth and sprung for a new drill bit set. Got tired of resharpening and burning through my cheap drills bought way back in 19-god-knows-when.

116 pc. Drill Hog set. At first glance, very nice quality, three flats on the shank for drill chucks to prevent slippage. All split points. I'll report back at some point on whether it was worth the $.

I wasn't willing to fork over the cash for a 115 piece set, but last year I bought a 29 piece cobalt set.

Drilling steel there is a noticeable improvement over my HF, Irwin, Dewalt etc drill bits.

I brought this home today.

1.jpg

The lathe is marked Waltham Watch Tool Company, Springfield Mass. A little bit of searching turned up that the company moved from Waltham MA to Springfield MA in 1890 and became the Van Norman company around 1912-14 so I'm guessing this lathe was made between 1890 and 1912-ish. Seems to be in pretty good shape and has a more modern (but still old) Bodine 1/12hp reversable motor.

The seller bought it from the estate of a local jeweler / watch repair shop owner, but has decided he doesn't have the time to take on a new hobby. The drawers contain a variety of attachments for the lathe and other watchmakers tooling, honestly I don't even know what half of this stuff is, but I will be learning. One of those great deals 10 minutes from home things that are so hard to resist. I've been wanting to learn more about watch / clock repair so no more excuses. ;)

I brought this home today.

View attachment 387151

The lathe is marked Waltham Watch Tool Company, Springfield Mass. A little bit of searching turned up that the company moved from Waltham MA to Springfield MA in 1890 and became the Van Norman company around 1912-14 so I'm guessing this lathe was made between 1890 and 1912-ish. Seems to be in pretty good shape and has a more modern (but still old) Bodine 1/12hp reversable motor.

The seller bought it from the estate of a local jeweler / watch repair shop owner, but has decided he doesn't have the time to take on a new hobby. The drawers contain a variety of attachments for the lathe and other watchmakers tooling, honestly I don't even know what half of this stuff is, but I will be learning. One of those great deals 10 minutes from home things that are so hard to resist. I've been wanting to learn more about watch / clock repair so no more excuses. ;)
better pics please. that's a cool little lathe, and so is the bench..

better pics please. that's a cool little lathe, and so is the bench..

I'll get some more once it is set up. I'll probably start a post in the watchmakers lathes section, I'm going to have a lot of questions.

I like the bench too, I think it is hand made.

I'll get some more once it is set up. I'll probably start a post in the watchmakers lathes section
Excellent! I am looking forward to that.

The drawers contain a variety of attachments for the lathe and other watchmakers tooling, honestly I don't even know what half of this stuff is
Please provide photos of all that stuff too. There are often special ways of holding parts/jobs that change with profession, but could be used by others in a tight spot. We could all learn a lot from that.

The seller bought it from the estate of a local jeweler / watch repair shop owner, but has decided he doesn't have the time to take on a new hobby.
There's a joke in there somewhere about having no time for clock//watch repair......

Thanks for sharing this!
-brino

Excellent, thank you guys! So now I want to figure out the math without the cad package and work out tables for the three pins (X-0.001, X, and X+0.001), let X run from 0.062 to 0.249. Now THAT would really expand the range. If it's too sparse a set, then we need the arbitrary solution for three diameters and the superscribed circle.

Fun!
I'm thinking maybe machineries handbook might have the info.... where ? I don't know.

Really interesting. I could make a table showing the hole size formed by the three adjacent pins all the way through the set. Anybody ever do that? Oh man, I wish it would rain around here so I can spreadsheet this out!
Keep in mind that there are 1,667,304 possible combinations of three pins in a .251" - .500" pin set.

18" Cushman 4-jaw for my Monarch 612 lathe. About 300lbs of lathe chuck. Picked it up today from the freight terminal. Will want to clean it up and go over it pretty carefully before use. It won't be the everyday use chuck. Lathe came with a 12" 3-jaw and I have a 10" 4-jaw that will also fit. But if I need to handle something big I have it, including the T-slots. Ideally would have liked the two-part jaws but the price was right on this one, it is a D1-6 mount so no need for a backplate.
.IMG_4266.JPG

Last edited:
Back