What Did You Buy Today?

I’ve got one of those punches around here someplace......... whenever I find it, which will only happen when I’ve forgotten all about it, I too will modify it like that. Great idea. Now where’d I put my bench vise?

The Grumpy OLD Guy

I have the same punch ... love it!

I added a small modification that lets me use it as a "bench mounted" punch ... milled two parallel flats on the lower sides of the "chin." These allow it to be grabbed and held in a vise. This has proved to be so handy that I've yet to use the punch hand-held.
View attachment 301368
View attachment 301369
That's a great idea, I'll do the same with mine, I have seen the bench mounted version but not in the smaller size we own.
Thank you for the pictures.

20190901_192633-jpg.301345

I am having trouble identifying it now. It is 63.5mm or 2.5" in diameter. The only reference I can find to a 2.5" gun predates WWI by a couple of decades and was a muzzle loader. I am leaning strongly toward it being an American thing as the dimensions all land on even inch or fractional dimensions and are on odd mm dimensions.

Another contraption I'll likely never use... at least at what it's intended for. A (smallish) boring jig with a MT-2 shank. With an old Atlas milling machine, everything is fitted or adapted to that. Add to that I seldom work with largish stuff, mostly model work where I use a reamer for the size openings I need. 5/8 inch is about the largest I generaly cut.
A photo of the kit:1567715109621.png
A nice looking kit, at a price I was willing to pay... cheap. Accuracy/TIR..... well, that's a whole 'nuther matter. What's going on here is that I ran across an interesting idea for cutting spheres. There were several videos on U-Tube, the attached link is just one. I thought I would set it up and see if it was as easy to do as it shows in the video.

My tailstocks on both lathes are MT-2 as well. Now, I have an "offset" center for cutting tapers. It's a PITA to do, but it does do. Seems there is a way with a boring head as well. I may try that and make one tool do two jobs. Looks like a real PITA to do but so's what I have now. One lathe has a homemade taper fixture. A pain to set up for one piece though, I'm not a real machinist. So I generally use the offset center. We shall see what we shall see.

Bill Hudson

20190901_192633-jpg.301345

I am having trouble identifying it now. It is 63.5mm or 2.5" in diameter. The only reference I can find to a 2.5" gun predates WWI by a couple of decades and was a muzzle loader. I am leaning strongly toward it being an American thing as the dimensions all land on even inch or fractional dimensions and are on odd mm dimensions.
Look up the M72A2 LAW.

I do not know when they started using the blue tip to identify an inert training round. It would have to be something direct fire, so the shooter can tell if they make a hit. Arty, mortars, do not use inert rounds, they have a smoke to show where the rounds land. As you say, it does not have the rings, so it has to go with a smoothbore, and the base indicates a fin attachment. So you are looking at a rocket. The LAW, is the only weapon that I know of that fits the size.

So today I recieved my New Bolstar BXA wedge type QCTP that came with 6 tool holders. This thing looks great, locks up tight with no wiggle thats observable and is pretty heavy duty. Now I dont have alot of experience with other brands but i did own An Aloris brand of the plunger type that worked great but it was a smidge to big for my lathe. Anyways to compare the Aloris to this Bolstar I do believe I would Honestly choose the Bolstar wedge type i now have over the known High Quality Aloris brand I did have. The bolstar does have some unsightly surface blemishes but i do not believe they are in critical areas that would effect the work piece finish.

Wow ok for some reason i kept getting this message when i tried to edit and add a picture to my last post!
"You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."
I never got that before so I figured I would try to add a 2nd post with the pic to see if it would work and it does!
Screenshot_20190907-171101_Chrome.jpg
The edit was to correct the tool holder count. It should say I got 7 tool holders with the kit not 6.

Another contraption I'll likely never use... at least at what it's intended for. A (smallish) boring jig with a MT-2 shank. With an old Atlas milling machine, everything is fitted or adapted to that. Add to that I seldom work with largish stuff, mostly model work where I use a reamer for the size openings I need. 5/8 inch is about the largest I generaly cut.
A photo of the kit:View attachment 301532
A nice looking kit, at a price I was willing to pay... cheap. Accuracy/TIR..... well, that's a whole 'nuther matter. What's going on here is that I ran across an interesting idea for cutting spheres. There were several videos on U-Tube, the attached link is just one. I thought I would set it up and see if it was as easy to do as it shows in the video.

My tailstocks on both lathes are MT-2 as well. Now, I have an "offset" center for cutting tapers. It's a PITA to do, but it does do. Seems there is a way with a boring head as well. I may try that and make one tool do two jobs. Looks like a real PITA to do but so's what I have now. One lathe has a homemade taper fixture. A pain to set up for one piece though, I'm not a real machinist. So I generally use the offset center. We shall see what we shall see.

Bill Hudson
That's a cool idea. The guy in the video didn't say what kind of tool he used. It didn't look like a boring tool?

It isn't a boring tool, at least not an original. The cutter is an "end" cutter. Maybe could be made from one of the kit cutters. I'm working on the shank right now... Since the cutter mounts to the tool post of the lathe, it cuts against the rotation of the work. Essentially 90* rotation for what is "normal". One of the videos goes into the shape of the cutter, but I didn't post that one. You might follow some links to see other versions of the contraption. This one was merely the simplist to build.

I bought this Atlas 7B shaper at an estate sale last weekend. Getting all 430+ pounds of it out of a basement with the help of the very strong young woman who was running the estate sale was not easy (she volunteered to help and we amazingly pulled it off--as disassembled as I could get it but with the largest piece well over 200 pounds). I've decided to take it most of the way apart for cleaning--it doesn't have any rust but is covered with oil, grease, and dirt--so it may be some time before it's functional again. Everything on it did seem to work before I started breaking it down. Like most shapers, it may end up being mostly a conversation piece, but I am trying to come up with some things to use it for. I couldn't resist it for $250. I'll have to come up with some projects that require internal keyways, I guess. This photo was taken at the estate sale. I like the chip guard and chip tray that the previous owner installed and they will be going back on.

Atlas Shaper (2).jpg

Back