What Did You Buy Today?

I have been good so far this year, and have been working a ton of hours with the crappy New England weather. The bottom box was the flagship box (72") at Harbor Freight until they brought in the Icon stuff. I wanted a hutch type of top box to keep it from getting too tall. I came home from Lowes with a red Craftsman box. The first thing that I noticed was that the red Craftsman toolboxes look almost orange next to the red Harbor Freight toolbox. The second thing that I noticed was the left front corner was dented so badly that it interfered with the drawers. So, back I went to see the rude, or perhaps lacking any social skills, kid at the service desk. I got a black top box because black goes with everything. This replaced my overloaded Craftsman box that I bought in 1988.
20220210_145359.jpg

I have been good so far this year, and have been working a ton of hours with the crappy New England weather. The bottom box was the flagship box (72") at Harbor Freight until they brought in the Icon stuff. I wanted a hutch type of top box to keep it from getting too tall. I came home from Lowes with a red Craftsman box. The first thing that I noticed was that the red Craftsman toolboxes look almost orange next to the red Harbor Freight toolbox. The second thing that I noticed was the left front corner was dented so badly that it interfered with the drawers. So, back I went to see the rude, or perhaps lacking any social skills, kid at the service desk. I got a black top box because black goes with everything. This replaced my overloaded Craftsman box that I bought in 1988.
View attachment 395889
Nice, I need to get another cabinet and maybe a top box. I have run out of room in my current cabinet and now many of my tools are stacking up or in tool bags. Can't believe how much the US General cabinets have gone up in the last year or so. Almost $100 and some more. I missed the last sale but will keep my eyes open.

I have a US General Pro from a number of years ago (7+ ?). I recently purchased a complete US General set for the company, both the bottom and the top units. I will have to say that the quality has gone up considerably from my US General Pro of a few years ago. The new ones are deeper and the fit and finish are very good. The only thing missing in my opinion is self-close drawers.
The blue ones are sold out at the moment, but I am seriously considering selling my old one (at a price that equals what I probably paid for it) and purchasing this new series.

Nice, I need to get another cabinet and maybe a top box. I have run out of room in my current cabinet and now many of my tools are stacking up or in tool bags. Can't believe how much the US General cabinets have gone up in the last year or so. Almost $100 and some more. I missed the last sale but will keep my eyes open.
I remember when for $350 on a coupon or sale you could get both top and bottom. now you can only get the bottom or top.
I bought one of their US General black crinkle cut paint 11 draw units for $84.. It was a no brainer. And works well. No ball bearing, but I didn't need that for a 26 inch cabinet. I wanted the ball bearings for the shop and my son, but they have priced themselves out for me currently. So I picked up Kennedy lowers 2, used (branded Dayton) but Kennedy for sure..

Just an FYI that HF did away with their 20% off everything coupon.

Not considering what they costed in the past, still compared to Snap-on or Mac, this box is 1/3 of the cost and does accomplish everything that I need it to. What I needed were drawers with roller bearings and my own work surface with a vise. There is a sheet of 3/16 hot rolled on the entire top of the bottom box. The vise pedestal is 3/4" thick and plug welded to the sheet steel from underneath. Sharing tools and workspace with others was making me (more) crazy. Now I have to buy more tools to fill it up.

Just picked up a US General 26 inch cabinet, top box, and the 14 inch wide side hanger yesterday. For the money you can't beat them, they are solid and well made. Now onto the process of transferring and reorganizing everything from the old boxes.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks to this thread: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...achine-stubby-drills.98090/page-3#post-924494

Ordered a Vevor Three Pieces Drill Bit Dispenser Organizer Cabinet 1/16"-1/2" A-z #1-60... To store all the drill bits I have in a box... it is time to get more organized...

View attachment 395965
Is this a one piece unit or 3 separate frames connected together?

From the picture it looks better built than the original product from Huot which I have one. It works but not best quality.

Ariel

Back