What Did You Buy Today?

You can use a hyrdaulic press or even an arbor press to press it in. The hydraulic for harder stuff. it gives a nice even stamping. I started using it for simple single numbered/lettered dies when I want a good impression. it gives a nice even result.
I did not even think about doing that!!! Thank you!!!!

I am a delivery driver; one of my customers, a widow, wanted to gift me the tap & die collection that belonged to her late husband.

I told her that these were VERY valuable, and she said “OK, bring me $20.” I told her that I would bring her twice that. I kept reminding her that she could get way more money, but she was more interested in finding a good home for the tools. Mission accomplished there.

She said that these are 50 years old. They are all USA made.

Her & her husband designed jewelry. Her & I always talk about metalworking. She is a graduate of a metalworking program at some art school.

DB208A61-9ACC-4F5F-8903-A82CA47CCA51.jpeg

D8876426-21F4-423D-8B74-9D7F3E814FF6.jpeg

About 2 hours later, a different customer gifted me this book. He is a retired machinist. He enjoyed this book so much that he bought an extra copy to give to a fellow enthusiast.

I had started to buy this book about 6 months ago, but I didn’t buy it because it was very expensive ($65.00).

image.jpg

i want to know your impressions when you get it.. thanks
Is this a one piece unit or 3 separate frames connected together?

From the picture it looks better built than the original product from Huot which I have one. It works but not best quality.

Ariel
I have been looking at these, the price just seemed to be too good to be true.

Received these today. Must say, pleasantly surprised. These are heavy... bearing slides... the gray epoxy finish looks to be thick. That is a relief... I thought these would be total flimsy carp...

Photos:

Well packaged...

IMG_4527.jpegIMG_4528.jpeg
IMG_4529.jpeg

One box (the one above) has all smaller slides...

The other two are the same. With two rows of wider and deeper sections...
IMG_4530.jpeg

The finish makes it so that you need some thin double face tape if you are stacking them. They slide easily when stacked... Not sure how I will set them up... maybe side by side on a shelf. Not sure.

IMG_4531.jpeg

Bearings... I was not expecting to see these... thought it would be metal to metal slides...

IMG_4532.jpeg

So yeah, happy with the purchase/price. Now to get all the drill bits from the cardboard box and into their proper place.

Last edited:
Received these today. Must say, pleasantly surprised. These are heavy... bearing slides... the gray epoxy finish looks to be thick. That is a relief... I thought they would be total flimsy carp...

Photos:

Well packaged...

View attachment 396705View attachment 396706
View attachment 396707

One box (the one above) has all smaller slides...

The other two are the same. With two rows of wider and deeper sections...
View attachment 396708

The finish makes it so that you need some thin double face tape if you are stacking them. They slide easily when stacked... Not sure how I will set them up... maybe side by side on a shelf. Not sure.

View attachment 396709

Bearings... I was not expecting to see these... thought it would be metal to metal slides...

View attachment 396710

So yeah, happy with the purchase/price. Now to get all the drill bits from the cardboard box and into their proper place.
emoji i love it.gif

Thanks neighbor for that.. i will indeed have to make an order!

When I initially got my G0704 milling machine, I order an inexpensive 4" vise to go with it. That vise has been abused by this newbie and it shows many mistakes I made during ownership. A few months back I decided to get another one... this time it was one with side tabs for securing on the table, the blue one you see in the photo below.... inexpensive vise as it was only 68.00. Well, I really was not impressed with that one... (wait!? 68.00! and you were not impressed with it... no sh** Sherlock! )

IMG_3220.jpeg

So last week, with the order of those Vevor drill bit cabinets, I ordered a similar vise to the one I had before... Came in today. Yeah... much better... Inexpensive as well, less than a 100.00... but so much better than the one I got before...

IMG_4537.jpeg
IMG_4538.jpeg

I did buy a Kurt DX6 CrossOver Vise - DX6-SD for the Wells-Index milling machine... but did not feel like spending on another one for the G0704... maybe at a later time when the wife is not looking that closely at the expenses...

Anyway, happy with this one. Just need to color match it :)

Couple of recent hand tool pick ups, different sources, same application. For the life of me I can't find my sets of 1/2" deep drive sockets. I could have sworn I had circa 1980's vintage Craftsman in 6/12 point in both SAE and metric. They'll eventually turn up; in the mean time I bought a used Gearratchet Vortex and Harbor Freight set of external drive sockets.

In case you haven't seen these, the sockets are driven via a special ratchet that drops over the outside of the socket instead of an internal square hole. The extensions have a through-hole in them also. I'll use them as deep-well sockets until my real deeps reappear. Unfortunately, the two sets have different drive set-ups. The Gearratchet uses an 8-point system, HF uses a (convenient) 3/4" hex.

Bruce

20220215_144215.jpg

20220215_144455.jpg

Last edited:
@BGHansen

Well Bruce, you've done it again. I have plenty of the GearWrench stuff but I was unaware of HF option until your explanation.
I recently had an application where an external (hex) drive socket would have been an option to consider. I'll look into the HF now. Thanks.

Well Bruce, you've done it again. I have plenty of the GearWrench stuff but I was unaware of HF option until your explanation.
I recently had an application where an external (hex) drive socket would have been an option to consider. I'll look into the HF now. Thanks.
They aren't a perfect sub for my 1/2" deeps as they only go to 3/4". But at $22 they are hard to beat.

Bruce

1645050119221.png

Back