What Did You Buy Today?

Couple of recent hand tool pick ups, different sources, same application. For the life of me I can't find my sets of 1/2" deep drive sockets. I could have sworn I had circa 1980's vintage Craftsman in 6/12 point in both SAE and metric. They'll eventually turn up; in the mean time I bought a used Gearratchet Vortex and Harbor Freight set of external drive sockets.

In case you haven't seen these, the sockets are driven via a special ratchet that drops over the outside of the socket instead of an internal square hole. The extensions have a through-hole in them also. I'll use them as deep-well sockets until my real deeps reappear. Unfortunately, the two sets have different drive set-ups. The Gearratchet uses an 8-point system, HF uses a (convenient) 3/4" hex.

Bruce

View attachment 396746

View attachment 396747
Bruce,
I’ve been watching your tooling purchases over the past few years. I would think by now, bricks and mortar would be needed to hold your cache.
It’s no wonder you can’t find those sockets :)
All in fun my friend!

They aren't a perfect sub for my 1/2" deeps as they only go to 3/4". But at $22 they are hard to beat.

Bruce

View attachment 396773

Yes. I looked that HF set up after I read your post. I needed a 15/16" so no good for me.

I have the same (equivalent sizes) set under the Armstrong name. It's got to be 20 or 30 years old and virtually unused. It's in WA and I'm in CA so it was not in the running to solve my current need.

Still glad to know HF has that set.

Back