What Did You Buy Today?

@ woodchucker. It is in really good condition for a 72 - something my 5' tall wife wanted. But, yeah we prefer old school cool!

This is a combination of bought then made. I bid on a collection of 110 slitting saws on eBay, new old stock, and the bidding went past me pretty fast. After it closed, I got a note from the seller that he had another set just the same, and offered it to me for $145. Done. There were actually 135 blades in what I got, nicely covering 0.014“ to 0.130”, with each thickness offering a range of diameters and arbor sizes. These will last me for awhile. :) I think I will make up a few kits with one of each size for friends.

There are 6 different arbor hole sizes, and while my standard arbors fit most, they are generally too big and clumsy for these small blades. I will make new arbors with just the very minimal dimensions needed so that the kerf depth is maximum and the shank is as long as possible.

But now what, how to store these? In some desperation I table sawed a V out of a scrap 2x4, cut up the out cut for end stops and brad nailed them in. Now I have the blades sorted left to right, thin to thick, can thumb through as needed. To keep them standing up tight, I cut more from the out cut to make space fillers. This torned out to be quick, free, very usable and space efficient.

Now on to the arbors…

25D2D256-7F3C-477B-86DD-210D3AD96EDE.jpeg

41DE61D6-C65F-48B6-BA4D-1893C6987736.jpeg9A9ABE01-1526-4CD9-9C6F-F55084399613.jpeg

@Winegrower

Great haul on the slitting saws.
I would be concerned that the moisture retained by the wood will effect the teeth in contact.
I would get a square foot of felt, soak it with oil, lay it in the V and use the excess as cover flaps to keep debris from collecting.

I would be concerned that the moisture retained by the wood will effect the teeth in contact.
I would get a square foot of felt, soak it with oil, lay it in the V and use the excess as cover flaps to keep debris from collecting.
That's a thought, for sure. It's an aged wood, quite dry. The blades only touch on two tangent points, and as you can see in the picture I use wood for collet holders and other things, so far never a problem, but I appreciate your point. Remember this is California. What I think is that if it ever got that humid here, I would be delighted. :)

Delivered last Friday... just found time to unbox them this morning...

20220328_080328.jpg

NMTB50... 1 each in 3/4", 7/8", 1", and 1-1/2". New... I had to wipe the cosmoline off of them.

I have a 1-1/4" ordered... it isn't new, though.

-Bear

This is a combination of bought then made. I bid on a collection of 110 slitting saws on eBay, new old stock, and the bidding went past me pretty fast. After it closed, I got a note from the seller that he had another set just the same, and offered it to me for $145. Done. There were actually 135 blades in what I got, nicely covering 0.014“ to 0.130”, with each thickness offering a range of diameters and arbor sizes. These will last me for awhile. :) I think I will make up a few kits with one of each size for friends.

There are 6 different arbor hole sizes, and while my standard arbors fit most, they are generally too big and clumsy for these small blades. I will make new arbors with just the very minimal dimensions needed so that the kerf depth is maximum and the shank is as long as possible.

But now what, how to store these? In some desperation I table sawed a V out of a scrap 2x4, cut up the out cut for end stops and brad nailed them in. Now I have the blades sorted left to right, thin to thick, can thumb through as needed. To keep them standing up tight, I cut more from the out cut to make space fillers. This torned out to be quick, free, very usable and space efficient.

Now on to the arbors…

View attachment 401964

View attachment 401965View attachment 401966
All i can say is.. Nice!

Picked up this chunk of structural steel for $20
1/4" x 4” x 8” x 72” long
Was/is a lintel for a construction project but the notches should have been put on the short flange.
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 1.52.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Back