What Did You Buy Today?

I bought another Harbor Freight toolbox. I plan to mount a bench grinder on top of it since it's relatively far away from my mill and lathe. I have some ideas around shielding, because I don't want to fill the cabinet up with grinding dust. Plus, more room for TOOLS!PXL_20220331_021004341.jpg
I'll also take a moment to say goodbye to the little Grizzly G8689 mill that was taking up this space. It was a good mill to learn on, and hopefully it'll be good for the coworker I gave it to:
PXL_20220328_191542632.jpg

I'll also take a moment to say goodbye to the little Grizzly G8689 mill that was taking up this space. It was a good mill to learn on, and hopefully it'll be good for the coworker I gave it to:
View attachment 402438

The first one is always free, that is how they get you hooked.

Remember kids, just say no! :grin:

My old Taft-Peirce surface grinder is on it's last legs, so I've been looking around just to see what is available. I didn't think I would find anything local, at least without waiting and watching for a while...

But I was wrong... I went and picked this up this morning...

View attachment 402334

View attachment 402335

It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but a Micromaster was on my short list of grinders to watch for, it was local, (@35 miles), and it's an 818 instead of a 618... who doesn't need an extra 2 inches every now and then?

Now I have to figure out how to get it off the trailer...

-Bear
I have the 618 Micromaster. You did very well. It looks like it’s had an easy life and well cared for.
At 35 miles from home, it was meant to be.

I have the 618 Micromaster. You did very well. It looks like it’s had an easy life and well cared for.
At 35 miles from home, it was meant to be.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get it off the trailer... I may have to rent a forklift...

-Bear

I'm still trying to figure out how to get it off the trailer... I may have to rent a forklift...
The 618 was pretty heavy bear . It lifted the ass end of a Bobcat off the ground ! We had 5 people and quite a few brake rotors on the rear at that point also . I'm guess 2500 minimum on that . :grin:

The 618 was pretty heavy bear . It lifted the ass end of a Bobcat off the ground ! We had 5 people and quite a few brake rotors on the rear at that point also . I'm guess 2500 minimum on that . :grin:
Are there lifting eyes on that? How about a tow truck to lift it off. Cheaper than a crane

Are there lifting eyes on that? How about a tow truck to lift it off. Cheaper than a crane
Not sure about the lifting eyes , but I think not . There are two very small ledges on the bottom casting that the forks would catch . I beam clamped the forks so they wouldn't spread while lifting just in case . It is a heavy machine , a lot more than the Lagun FTV-2 mill which I THOUGHT was heavy ! :big grin:

Back