What Did You Buy Today?

Don't remember if there is an existing thread like this. Many of you guys like to share your scores so let's try a new ongoing thread...

If your here chances are you love tools & always love to get new ones. This thread is not necessarily for gloating (well maybe) but you can if you want but expect to get a "you suck" compliment!

So what did you buy for the shop today (or recently)? No tool too small or too big, machines, equipment, inexpensive, expensive, good deal or not, whatever. All that matters is if you'd like to share your latest acquisition that put a smile on your face, post 'em up! And you know the drill, we love to see photos!
I couldn't resist these deals, and fell off the old iron wagon again, and bought these 2 vises:

3" York vise ($71.90 ebay auction price + $88 shipping from Great Britain)
Screenshot_20220428-093227_eBay.jpgScreenshot_20220428-093308_eBay.jpg

6" Wilton off Craigslist for $300.
Screenshot_20220428-093509_Gallery.jpg

After I contacted the seller, I then tried to get out of buying the $450 vise (since I know I have too many tools) by saying I only had $300 in my bank account, but couldn't say no when he then said he'd take $300.
The vise without a swivel base weighs about 150lbs.
I need to just say no, but am weak to deals, lol
Susan

I couldn't resist these deals, and fell off the old iron wagon again, and bought these 2 vises:

3" York vise ($71.90 ebay auction price + $88 shipping from Great Britain)
View attachment 405404View attachment 405405

6" Wilton off Craigslist for $300.
View attachment 405406

After I contacted the seller, I then tried to get out of buying the $450 vise (since I know I have too many tools) by saying I only had $300 in my bank account, but couldn't say no when he then said he'd take $300.
The vise without a swivel base weighs about 150lbs.
I need to just say no, but am weak to deals, lol
Susan
Wow, nice buys.. welcome back... long time. BTW you've had Iron deficient blood, so you need more iron in your blood... I think you have achieved that with these purchases. ;)

Last edited:
Bill,
That is an amazing piece. I have always loved trains. As a kid, I not only had models, but drew them constantly. Even now as an old fart, I still love the trains. Although I only have one more modern large scale train set but with enough track to go through several rooms of a house.
The construction and attention to detail of this is simply amazing. Thanks very much for sharing this. Would like to see some more of your hobby.
Patrick
You should understand I have several pieces of brass. My interest is more toward the mechanical aspect of the hobby. I have a layout, of sorts, that allows me to run a locomotive or car that I have built or updated. Most of my models go beyond 'vintage' to antique or archaic. I often acquire a locomotive or tender as seperate items and mix and match as suits me. Steam is my area of interest,

I don't have any modern diesel models, even plastic. The 'Russian' was a 'spur of the moment' purchase with a very low starting bid where I could play. The 'Russian' is far too large for my modeling, most of my stable represents a backwoods, deep south, depression era road that is hanging on by the skin of their teeth. There are several Mantua (pre-TYCO) models with brass boilers. Both 2-6-0s and 4-4-0 'Belle of the 80s'. They quit making them sometime in the 1950s. Another piece is a NWSL logger that dates around 1965. So old that NWSL has no record if it. I found it cheap, with a bent frame and some other problems. After straightening the frame and remotoring, it runs, sort of. As noisy as a 12":1' loco, but it stays on the track now.

My interest goes back to childhood, before I started school. Somewhere around age 10 (1960ish) I made the transition from toys to models. Essentially by myself, I didn't have a 'mentor' to call on 'til I was out of the service. My father had worked during the 'Great Depression' for Norfolk & Western. My maternal grandfather was a section hand for AGS (now Southern) around the same time. Guess it's in my blood.

Large scale has always fascinated me. I tried 1-1/2" scale, 7-1/2" guage, and still have some pieces. Just junk now, the 'good' stuff is gone. Even with a half acre back yard, not near enough room. And dealing with my chair puts such ideas out of reach these days. I never got into 'live steam', steam is dangerous. NYC and PRR electrics though. . . run from a battery and a welder fed 'third rail'. Now that's railroading. . . I have been NMRA since 1971, went Life a couple of years later. Got my 50 year certificate a couple of months back. I feel like I belong even though I don't associate with the local 100% club. Always been a stand-alone sort. Not anti-social, just not very sociable.

Oh carp.... sorry guys... this is the Buy thread... not the Project of the day tread :eek 2:

I did buy the Heavy-Duty Snap Fastener Pliers to make the blackout curtains...

View attachment 405194

Nice camper. You have more $ than I.
Here's my 1975 27' Overlander hunting shack.
It doesn't go far - or fast. Just move it a couple of times a summer to mow under/around it.

Attachments

• 100_07791.JPG
    100_07791.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 25
Garage sale buy this weekend, while we were out in the old car, for the larger grinder. $25 plus 4 wheels to replace the pipsqueek one.

Also have 1 vice too many! Keeping the English made Record 5” that dad bought some decades ago and the Japanese red one. The red one has been beaten on for 40 plus years as it was also my dad’s. The small one in the middle may be much newer but the Chinese heritage makes it suspect versus even the 40 year old one! It goes along with the small grinder. I will list them on our local board.
Pierre

PS the car is NOT for sale!

30FC515E-5CCF-422B-BD7B-761B731681F0.jpeg6B9A7A07-4E6B-4E4A-8F02-A3026252418A.jpeg9B967886-D4B8-4338-87BC-69DE4EA57D39.jpeg

Last edited:
New front calipers and pads for the PowerStroke . Lost the left caliper which was suppose to be brand new less than a year ago . Found out they used rebuilt units . Never seen a caliper basically disintegrate . One pad was non-existant , GONE ! At least it's not windy today .

New front calipers and pads for the PowerStroke . Lost the left caliper which was suppose to be brand new less than a year ago . Found out they used rebuilt units . Never seen a caliper basically disintegrate . One pad was non-existant , GONE ! At least it's not windy today .
it's blowing here.

can't trust anyone these days.

Ended up getting a Ram..

I had to do a double take on who posted, for moment there I thought the post was from @GoceKU

Back