What Did You Buy Today?

I've got a Holdridge 4-D Radii cutter, but it's just too big for my lathe. I'd have to remove the compound, make an adapter, etc., etc. Not worth the hassle.

So I've been on the lookout for the smaller 3-D, and finally found one for a reasonable price!! Looks like it's nearly new.

Related note --- Anyone interested in buying my 4-D? I'll post it on the Buy/Sell section here first, then over to eBay if there isn't interest.

1654021674730.png

Even a blind cow finds an oat every now and then.
My mentor always talked about large cutters as "Big enough to be worth a re-sharpen".
I own a Drill Doctor to sharpen most of my conventional drill bits, but stop at 1/2" as to not be too hard on the Doc.
The current stone on my 8" bench grinder is a 60 grit. I have hand sharpened a few bits with it, but 60 grit leaves a courser finish than I would like.
I have come into quite a few cutters lately that people have turned their backs on. These aren't chipped or busted, just dull.
Anyway, found this 8" stone in an "open box-return" pile. The box was surely opened, but the stone had never been used. The part number puts it as Norton's 150 grit very fine stone. In the truck for $21 so I figured I couldn't get in too much trouble giving it a go.
Since I am not talking about chipped or broken cutters, I am hoping this will be the ticket to put on a fresh edge. (The bits in the picture are just some of the ones that are in the way. There are more, lots more)
IMG_8820.jpg

I just got tired of the extremely inexpensive digital caliper... so I got something better... could not stretch the budget for a Mitutoyo... so went with this one:

SHARS Aventor 6" /150mm DPS IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper DIN862

SHARS Aventor 6%22 :150mm DPS IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper DIN862.jpeg

I just got tired of the extremely inexpensive digital caliper... so I got something better... could not stretch the budget for a Mitutoyo... so went with this one:

SHARS Aventor 6" /150mm DPS IP54 Electronic Digital Caliper DIN862

View attachment 408745
Let us know how you like it.

I have shied away from ones like this in the past, perhaps due to an unjustified feeling that there should be some sort of scale finer that that on the instrument. Should the battery go out, a wooden ruler would have finer gradations. But that is just my opinion. 99% of the time, I have been pretty happy with my HF digital caliper. Used to buy them whenever they went on sale for $9.95. Those days are over. I also have an old Starrett dial caliper, which I like very much. The Starrett cost me $121 in 1989. (Still have the receipt, I keep it in the original box.) Haven't needed a single battery for it! For shop use, I usually use the HF caliper for rough measurements, and micrometers for anything important.

Let us know how you like it.

I have shied away from ones like this in the past, perhaps due to an unjustified feeling that there should be some sort of scale finer that that on the instrument. Should the battery go out, a wooden ruler would have finer gradations. But that is just my opinion. 99% of the time, I have been pretty happy with my HF digital caliper. Used to buy them whenever they went on sale for $9.95. Those days are over. I also have an old Starrett dial caliper, which I like very much. The Starrett cost me $121 in 1989. (Still have the receipt, I keep it in the original box.) Haven't needed a single battery for it! For shop use, I usually use the HF caliper for rough measurements, and micrometers for anything important.
I do not have a quality caliper (dial or digital) in my toolbox... all mine have been HF units (digital and dial calipers... ). So I need to step up and get something decent. What made me do this now is the amount of times I had to reset the digital caliper working with the build of the float lock vise... not even funny anymore...

When I was searching there were a lot of Mitutoyo that looked to me to be fakes... nothing on that brand, for the real ones, is under 100.00... but I saw many listed as new for less than 70.00... I did not even searched on Starrett :oops:

This SHARS was 55.00. Will report back on how it works out.

And I also need to invest in a quality set of micrometers...

I do not have a quality caliper (dial or digital) in my toolbox... all mine have been HF units (digital and dial calipers... ). So I need to step up and get something decent. What made me do this now is the amount of times I had to reset the digital caliper working with the build of the float lock vise... not even funny anymore...

When I was searching there were a lot of Mitutoyo that looked to me to be fakes... nothing on that brand, for the real ones, is under 100.00... but I saw many listed as new for less than 70.00... I did not even searched on Starrett :oops:

This SHARS was 55.00. Will report back on how it works out.

And I also need to invest in a quality set of micrometers...
Resetting and rezeroing calipers does get old.

Although I broke down and bought a Mitutoyo 0-1" DigiMatic, last year, I have a set of ordinary vernier micrometers from Shars that have provided me many years of service. The Shars set goes to 4". I have used the set a lot, and have no complaints. The mics hold their zero. I have compared the Mit to the Shars 0-1" and they both read the same to the tenth. At least when I bought the set, the price was right.

Today was new machine day. I didnt get a chance to get pictures of the move but she is all nestled in her bed. Next couple of weeks i will work on power and such. She needs a deep clean. And redressing of the chuck.

Attachments

• AC3451A2-1BFF-46E3-A5CC-7297F334A1B9.jpeg
    AC3451A2-1BFF-46E3-A5CC-7297F334A1B9.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 18
  • A96AF65A-C59B-4E70-9AB4-95D6C9A85671.jpeg
    A96AF65A-C59B-4E70-9AB4-95D6C9A85671.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2C8B25AA-EE1B-4419-8148-8749CF2496CD.jpeg
    2C8B25AA-EE1B-4419-8148-8749CF2496CD.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 15
  • AF68869A-2282-4521-80D0-D2F5DC8F2078.jpeg
    AF68869A-2282-4521-80D0-D2F5DC8F2078.jpeg