What Did You Buy Today?

Managed to win an auction for a Delta Platinum Edition 14” bandsaw with factory mobile base.
Absolutely mint condition. Very happy!
48c2b1c5d43a13a1ae7a3a9b0448c92e.jpg

I bought the plastic version and hung it on the wall. I noticed after about 6 months that the plastic was distorting a little so I added a tiny shelf under it to support the weight. Now the keyholes only keep it against the wall, the shelf carries the load. I guess it could still fail, but I'd have to work at it.
I've got two 1/2" sets in plastic hanging on the wall. One came with my used mill about 10 years ago. I bought a second 1/2" set about 5 years ago and then a 3/8" set soon after. I think all are Chinese. No apparent sagging. They are easy to get the step blocks, & two kinds of nuts in & out but the studs are a pretty sloppy fit, they also go in & out easily. I don't have a made in USA set to compare to but these work fine for me.

also for old work, the wood gets harder. Old wood was harder to begin with, because of the number of rings, but the lignum definitely hardens quite a bit over time.
Most of the old work I have done is houses that were built when B'ham grew up like magic, 1880s to 1930s. My house was built in(around) 1887, the date from the deed. At that time, a lot of construction was with "red pine", or "Georgia Pitch Pine", or "hard" pine. I have burned up a skilsaw blade cutting in just one door frame. Common wire nails just bend, I used a number of cut (square) nails. An auger was cut down because I wasn't man enough in my prime to cut through by hand. By 1975, the house could well have been built from oak.

Got these at an estate sale this morning just down the road. Paid $30 for both.

Not sure if I want to keep the intake/carb or not. I only have one engine with a carb and it's a 454. This carb is only a 650 so not really big enough.

View attachment 408852
One of the "junkers" I drove in the '70s was a Pontaic station wagon. It had a 455 engine and a two barrel carb. Thirsty around town, but on the road (at ~80 MPH) it got exceptionally good mileage. I think a '72 model, just before EPA grew teeth.

Like @Brento I am also in the market for one. Would you share a little of your search and decision on which one to buy?

:oops: It is best that people that actually know about this, chime in... seriously, I am clueless...

I just saw it for less than 100.00 and bought it. No idea if it is a good one or what... Everything else I saw was over 150.00 + shipping... I knew I wanted something with threaded holes to make it easier to secure stuff to it...

Oh, and I do not have a grinder :eek 2:

Last edited:
I mean realistically i need 2 sin plates. I should run a mag one on the grinder and the other would be for the mill.

I am clueless...

I feel the same way. It’s not all that easy to inspect and qualify these things. I suppose one could compare against a sine bar. Was your used or new?

I feel the same way. It’s not all that easy to inspect and qualify these things. I suppose one could compare against a sine bar. Was your used or new?
Used. Most of this stuff I need to buy used.

Back