What Did You Buy Today?

I can stick metal together soundly, but while it is not bird doo doo I am not a stacked dime welder. All input is gratefully accepted, thank you.

I can stick metal together soundly, but while it is not bird doo doo I am not a stacked dime welder. All input is gratefully accepted, thank you.
Not much I can help you with there as I'm what I would consider a rank amateur. I've got a pretty firm grip on the basics, but that's about where it ends.

I can lay a stack of dimes, but I'm probably more surprised than anyone else when it comes out that way......:grin big:

It's that damned filler rod "finger shuffle" action that I just can't seem to get consistent at....

Last edited:
Received some Huot drill index boxes to organize my bags of drills that I bought a while back from @mattthemuppet2 . The drills had been kicking around and I thought the indexes would be much better than plastic baggies. Picked up a replacement 3/16" stubby drill that I recently snapped off. Never broken a drill before, surprised me. Also got some metric hardware for my ELS project, various set screws for the pulleys and some flat head screws for the rotary encoder mounting. The set screws that were supplied by the pulley manufacturer are so short that I can't pick them up and line them up to the threaded holes. So these are a bit longer and give me more than 3 threads in the aluminum pulleys. M5x10 and M4x8. The encoder uses M3 screws. Needed to use a flat head screw to avoid fouling with the timing belt pulley.
PXL_20220816_215303909.jpg

Got a CL alert from fellow forum member and junkyard dog mickri about “free arbor press”. We have shared freebie alerts before. So I checked the time as good freebie’s rarely last more than an hour and it had been 10min. I hustled over there and saw a PU full of furniture with the guy standing at the back staring at the press in the back of his truck. Normally I would have admitted defeat but something told me to go check and talk to him. Turned out he had no clue, he only knew it to be a press whatever that was. I checked it over close and it looked exactly like an old Greenerd. Looked for signs of wear and repair and it was solid. Very rusty and needs a retaining collar or handwheel to hold the gear in the head along with some penetrating oil. He was thinking he could sell it for yard art, doh! So I offered him $5, he came back with $20 and I settled for it and some shaft chunks along with a twisted NASCAR torsion bar and a broken Porsche 356 rear axel. I figured mickri would want the old press for $20 and he does.

The press is an antique from around 1921 Precision no2 made by the Naperville Machine Co rated at 7,000lbs. If I didn’t already have my big Jet 2tn and Manley 22tn screw press I’d keep it as it has a 12” stroke. Another good day for saving antique tools from an ignominious fate.

Attachments

• 3FCCE880-673B-4F27-B8DC-2EF7F6629F77.jpeg
    3FCCE880-673B-4F27-B8DC-2EF7F6629F77.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 29
You guys in America get all the deals for these things. I've been waiting for years for a press to show up here. :)

Back