What Did You Buy Today?

What he said. ^^^ Whether it affects you functionally or not, that is not what I would call a factory first. Wouldn't pay retail prices for that.

I wouldn't live with that.... Not with the price of a Dorian. Now, if they credit you 50% of the cost, well maybe. But still if I was to buy a Dorian tool post I would want it to be perfect, not a second.

Tim
That's basically my thinking on it. I'm confused how that made it through QC to be honest.
Edit: update it took Dorian about 2 minutes to CC me on an email saying "we need to send this guy another one, with the quickness, and get that one back. We have to figure out what happened here"

Last edited:
I picked up a nice Starrett-Webber 5 piece gauge block set at an auction for $15 today. I can't find it on any searches or on Starrett's site. The box doesn't have a part number on it either. Anyone ever seen this one?
IMG_3686.jpeg

IMG_3691.jpeg

Since it's 0-.250 by 8ths, I'd guess it's a linear calibration set. Not just linear as in linear dimension, I mean a linear calibration curve. Perhaps it came as an included accessory with a calibrated device. Maybe it's a product in Webber's catalog under license from Starrett. I reckon the only thing that really matters about its past is that it ended up in YOUR toolbox. Rejoice!

My guess on the Dorian is that a piece of material stayed on the bottom of the pile too long rusted out, and someone still ran it through.

My tool post finally showed up today after about 6 weeks of lead time. Not sure exactly what I think about this one. Dorian is looking at the pictures right now. Probably just the end-cut on that piece. If they say it won't affect the return to 0, I can probably live with it, but :(
View attachment 417568View attachment 417569
That needs to be returned

This came in: a 4, 5, 6 & 8mm key way broach set. Took less than a week to get here.
PXL_20220818_222439052.jpg
Now I need to learn how to use it. Where does the shim piece go? I need to cut some 5mm key ways in a 14mm bore. It seems the short and narrower end is placed in the bushing. What keeps the broach from wanting to dig in? I have a 3 ton arbor press, with enough height for the 4 & 5 mm broaches. I will need to make a drop anvil to accommodate the longer broaches.

From Zoro, a NIB Tesa Brown & Sharpe .0005” grad BesTest PN 599-7031-5. It set me back $200.52.

The only DTI that I have now is .0001”, and you sure don’t want to try to indicate a vise with such a fine graduation.

My friend has this exact same DTI linked above. He came over & we uneventfully indicated 2 mill vises with it.

The Zoro website says that the DTI linked above is probably made in China. My friend’s DTI (same exact PN) was brand new; it did not say anywhere on the packaging where it was made. We Googled Tesa, and concluded that Tesa is made in Switzerland. You would think that it is a law that you have to state the country of manufacture somewhere on a new product.

Last edited:
Back