What Did You Buy Today?

I bought 5 PCB's (minimum order) for my ELS that I recently designed.

What an odd experience that was. The KiCAD program has a plugin that takes your design and bundles up the data files and sends them to PCBWay for a quote. After convincing myself that everything was good, (don't know how I would really know for sure,) I pushed the button and the data was transferred a world away. In less than 10 minutes the files were checked and had a quote. There was a bit of an odd struggle trying to figure out their forms, but after it was all said and done it cost me $34.13 including shipping. Should arrive in early October. Sure hope the boards come out OK. Haven't ever made my own boards before.
View attachment 420478

I have designed and had several hundred boards made. By jlcpcb and pcbway and no issues what so ever from the manufactures. Only issues I have had was with my initial design. I have not used kicad, but I have used easyeda and eagle. One hint if your just starting out. I make sure that I enlarge the traces for power on my boards as the default size is fine, but if you have to drive any current its comforting to know that the larger traces can take more current. Keep posting updates your lead screw project, one of my long list of updates I wish to do to my lathe at some time.

I bought 5 PCB's (minimum order) for my ELS that I recently designed.

What an odd experience that was. The KiCAD program has a plugin that takes your design and bundles up the data files and sends them to PCBWay for a quote. After convincing myself that everything was good, (don't know how I would really know for sure,) I pushed the button and the data was transferred a world away. In less than 10 minutes the files were checked and had a quote. There was a bit of an odd struggle trying to figure out their forms, but after it was all said and done it cost me $34.13 including shipping. Should arrive in early October. Sure hope the boards come out OK. Haven't ever made my own boards before.
View attachment 420478
What are you some smart guy?
I wish I had your creativity!

I bought some 1/4” square shank, brazed carbide cutters. I will use these in a small fly cutter.

Three of these from two different eBay Sellers set me back $31.44 including tax & shipping.

Here are some screenshots from the 1/4” square shank tool bit purchase mentioned above:

2 of the cutters are C2 carbide, & the other does not specify what grade of carbide.

A45DAB34-42D1-4415-9BE8-7DB2E0011033.png
3F42713B-6A26-4B8D-A8CA-8C2C6C5FF8FB.png
2D490C17-0383-424D-ADA3-A182DF0F5061.png
AB9F04D6-6663-40A8-84CB-2715E9807B01.png

Last edited:
What are you some smart guy?
I wish I had your creativity!
Nope. I'm just a stubborn guy who is a plugger. It doesn't come easy for me. That and asking questions of others, so one can learn. Some of the stuff you have done and shown on HM is really remarkable. Believe me, I aspire to be half as talented as you are! I'm still figuring out how on earth to make a diamond wheel grinder like you did.

Made a trip up to near Austin with the family and dogs to check out some stuff a guy was selling on Craigslist. My friend wanted the steady rest for his new lathe and I wanted the power feed for my mills knee. The power feed, gears/jaws/stuff plus around 25lb of alu were $75 and another 65lb of alu (including two sheets of mic6 plate!) was $100. I'm pretty pleased and my friend was really happy too! Plus we had a delicious burger for lunch :)IMG20220918215425.jpgIMG20220918215442.jpgIMG20220918215447.jpg

Back