What Did You Buy Today?

Picked these up today at a local Pawn broker in am industrial area all for just under $30
Standard Mititoyo test indicator in excellent condition. The second one shows its age but runs smoothly, but it has a resolution of 0.002mm (less than one tenth).
The little surface Guage is a brown and sharp and has one of those old "verdict Junior" indicators on it (made in England)
d1d08ed62df39c865066ea9234d3b822.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

SnoopDog's calipers are boxwood, I think.
Never seen any like that, but there's pix on the internet similar to this 'un, with same number 3922
Well, Craftsman tools show up in Sears catalogs; the ones from early (1912) don't have the numbers,
nor Craftsman trademarks. The ones from 1950s (at archive.org) don't have boxwood-and-brass
calipers, just modern-ish ones. So, I'm guessing it's 75 years old, and the catalogs that it appeared
in, were lost in wartime paperdrives, 1942-1945.

Picked these up today at a local Pawn broker in am industrial area all for just under $30
Standard Mititoyo test indicator in excellent condition. The second one shows its age but runs smoothly, but it has a resolution of 0.002mm (less than one tenth).
The little surface Guage is a brown and sharp and has one of those old "verdict Junior" indicators on it (made in England)

I miss Pawn Shops.

Was very disappointed today: the 10 x 10 x 5 box with three, 1/4" couplings was delivered by UPS (based on where the box was and that the ring didn't go off the driver just tossed it in the direction of the front door): same box, but the three couplings were in individual bags and most of the boxes was filled with bunched up brown paper. Today's shipment came from around Chicago, the one yesterday was from near Perth Amboy, NJ.
Remaining shipments from HD got delayed by the weather, but one (from Dallas-ish) is out for delivery:

HD fdeg.png
Funny, I never heard of fdeg before, but this is the second email I've received from Home Depot referring to them, so they must be a new service.

I miss Pawn Shops.
Do you guys honestly not have Pawn brokers anymore?

I regularly make the trip out to the more industrial part of town where there are three Pawn brokers that always have machining tools for sale. My biggest score was a cut knurling tool for R500 (about $30) contacted the agents and learned that if I wanted that same tool new it would be R16 000 (about $960).

I have gone from cheap Chinese metrology instruments to Mititoyo, Starrett, Helios, Moore and wright etc at a fraction of the price thanks to these Pawn brokers

@mattthemuppet2 is still selling tooling for about 5 to 15 cents on the dollar!

I sent him $400, & he sent all of this. About 2/3 of it is carbide, & quality brands at that!

16AF6954-EF26-4168-9CC3-4D1D28B6C584.jpeg

Close up pictures:

4DCAA8E1-80CB-403B-AA08-465300EF1EFA.jpeg

FF748F0E-DEA9-4F22-BD30-C6A825E8073C.jpeg

I don’t know how Matt is able to sell the stuff so cheap, but I encourage him to keep doing what he’s doing, & I encourage you guys to get in on it.

There will come a day when I am retired, on a pension, & not able to afford an endmill, much less a quality carbide one. Matt solved this problem 20 years before it came up!

Last edited:
Do you guys honestly not have Pawn brokers anymore?

I regularly make the trip out to the more industrial part of town where there are three Pawn brokers that always have machining tools for sale. My biggest score was a cut knurling tool for R500 (about $30) contacted the agents and learned that if I wanted that same tool new it would be R16 000 (about $960).

I have gone from cheap Chinese metrology instruments to Mititoyo, Starrett, Helios, Moore and wright etc at a fraction of the price thanks to these Pawn brokers

They still exist but have mostly been consolidated into larger companies that don't operate anywhere close to how they used to.

Way back in the 2000's when I was in Arizona we had a local shop that specialized in tools. They had rollaway boxes nicely sorted by one of the owners and I knew I could almost always find what I wanted. Well, those guys got old and by 2008 they had sold out to a big national chain that couldn't care less about single 10mm sockets. What we got instead was a business focused on making "loans" that was closer to a payday lender than what I grew up with.

I suspect there are some old school pawn shops around still but every time I've gone into one in the last decade it's just overpriced junk with almost nothing I'd be interested in....

John

They still exist but have mostly been consolidated into larger companies that don't operate anywhere close to how they used to.

Way back in the 2000's when I was in Arizona we had a local shop that specialized in tools. They had rollaway boxes nicely sorted by one of the owners and I knew I could almost always find what I wanted. Well, those guys got old and by 2008 they had sold out to a big national chain that couldn't care less about single 10mm sockets. What we got instead was a business focused on making "loans" that was closer to a payday lender than what I grew up with.

I suspect there are some old school pawn shops around still but every time I've gone into one in the last decade it's just overpriced junk with almost nothing I'd be interested in....

John
Trying to get retail prices for worn out crap!

That has been my experience also. No point in even looking anymore. There are people who make a living by cherry picking pawn and thrift stores, then reselling from their own venue. They are much more dedicated shoppers. I surrender.

Back