What Did You Buy Today?

That is fantastic John. I think everyone is like you in that they possess the ability to keep consistent angles when sharpening. Bought my first chainsaw in '85, and not once can I say that my hand sharpened chains matched a new Stihl chain. Paying $8-$10 to get one sharpened by a service wasn't a vast improvement over dull either. Sharper than when I started - yes, plenty sharp for the job -yes, sharp as new - nope. Figured that after 38 years if I didn't have the hang of it by now, probably time to punt. Regarding the time it takes, I'm guessing that I would spend 10-20 minutes with a file on a chain with 80+ drivers or a half hour in a car going somewhere. My first chain after setup took all of 5 minutes (feels really sharp, but then they all do after sharpening).
I have the same problem when sharpening knives. I can make them sharper every time, but I can make better use of my time with a guide.
Hoping that the aid of a fixture will allow me to fiddle with angles and depths a little on my own to get me to where I want to be. As you can imagine, if you can't hold a 30 degree angle to begin with, adjusting the grind +/- 5 degrees either way is like trying to push water up hill.
I did have the advantage of owning a power equipment shop so lots of practice….

So after less than 2 years my iGaging Absolute calipers are not reading correctly after leaving them on overnight, and replacing the battery today. 6" is reading as .28 inches now. LAME.

Ordered a Mitutoyo 500-196-30 to replace it. Should get it tomorrow. Buy once Cry once is sage advice.

So after less than 2 years my iGaging Absolute calipers are not reading correctly after leaving them on overnight, and replacing the battery today. 6" is reading as .28 inches now. LAME.

Ordered a Mitutoyo 500-196-30 to replace it. Should get it tomorrow. Buy once Cry once is sage advice.
How did you leave them on overnight? Mine time out after maybe 15 minutes.

Did you try removing the batteries so the caliper resets?
I kknow you replaced the batteries, but try removing them and re-inserting after 10 minutes.
That should do a reset.

I have had my igaging for about 10 years maybe a little longer. When I saw the large size numbers, I had to have it.
mine have always auto shut off.

I have noticed that my Mitutoyo do not shut off automatically.
If it is an authentic one, it may not matter that much. Real Mit's have very low battery usage. However, their off usage is a lot lower than on.
Cheap calipers may have the same consumption on or off, and much higher current consumption than a quality unit like a Mit.

Well that is a bummer. I have the same calipers. They have been problem free for 6 plus years now. Is the replacement battery old?

Did you try removing the batteries so the caliper resets?
I kknow you replaced the batteries, but try removing them and re-inserting after 10 minutes.
That should do a reset.

I have had my igaging for about 10 years maybe a little longer. When I saw the large size numbers, I had to have it.
mine have always auto shut off.
Let it sit for an hour and getting the same results. Its in the trash bin now.

Well, after doing my taxes, having them accepted & approved I started looking for ways to spend a little of the refund:

20230225 Starrett Saturday.jpeg
From left-to-right/top-to-bottom:
  • 2"Ø x 12 Delrin for an upcoming project

• Starrett 711 Last Word set (yes, another one), sold in two lots - VG; Knurled Ball Nut & assorted contact points - NOS
  • Starrett No. 436-1, 0 – 1" Mic; apparently factory special with a Vee anvil and pointy spindle (new box for another lot) - G
  • Starrett No. 110 Gage Holders (one waiting for a spring & nut) - VG
  • New (1.2") & Used (49.5mm - VG, XX grade) "Setting Rings"
  • Unknown Snug & DTI Contact Point (thrown in with another purchase) - OK
  • Starrett No. 57S Universal Snug - VG
  • Aerospace™ 12" Dual Beam Height Gage (great price and I'm tired of not having a crank on my SHARS 12" Digital (any interest??) - Like New

• Craftsman 1 – 3" Depth Mic (soon to become a half-base depth micrometer) - G
  • Starrett No. 233, 0 – 1/2" Mic in original case (needs some love)
  • Starrett No. 2, 1 - 2" Mic with No. 212 0 - 1" "Reducing Attachment" (in another new box with slightly modified foam) - VG

• Starrett un-numbered odd-ball Mic (maybe for pipes?)
  • Tubular Micrometer 0 - 1" Mic with ball attachment - VG
  • Micrometer Spanners (with older tools, you can't have enough of these as they sometimes get bent trying to rotate a stuck shell)
  • Starrett No. 670B, long reach Indicator Attachment - NOS
  • Starrett No. 671 Indicator Attachment - VG
  • Starrett No. 25MSB 8mm to 3/8" Split Bushing - New
  • Starrett No. 28 Shock Absorber for DI - New
  • Starrett No. 657Y 1/4" Indicator Attachments (1 New, 1 VG); Unknown 5/16" Indicator Attachment - G
  • Starrett No. 473 Screw Pitch Gage - NOS
  • Starret No. 233, 0 – 1/2" Mic (VG) in new modified box with my No. 576, 0 – 1/2", ball anvil Mic (which you've seen before)

• Nicholson No. 5 file handles
  • Loc-Line 1/4" Y-Fittings
  • Starrett Nos. 247A/B/C/D Micrometer Balls (more than I'll ever need) - New & NOS

• Starrett Plastic Micrometer Cases - NOS
  • Starrett No. 700B, 1 – 2" Inside Mic (in new case) - VG
  • Starrett No. 226, 1 – 2" Mic (in it's new box, which I think you've already seen also)

Didn't get them all at once, just over the last month or so. Some individual purchases, some as part of a lot, some eBay, some FB Marketplace, some Zoro (made good use of my February 20% off coupon) and even a couple of bits from Starrett.

Last edited:
Back