What Did You Buy Today?

I didn't buy these, got them on freecycle. Before I got sick with Covid so about 3 weeks ago. Finally got it down the stairs today. Very heavy.
This is an office paper shredder, it's on steroids. it can do quite a lot of paper at once. But I don't want it for paper. After the post about melting plastic I have been looking for a shredder to modify and beef up. Most are too light duty to modify. After melting the HDPE and making bricks for machining, I was really vested in finding one. Yes it takes a long time to melt and make bricks, but I think I can get more efficient over time. And having found out that a lot of plastic STILL does NOT get recycled (too expensive) we are being fed lip service, I am helping recycle and get free blocks of HDPE and LDPE. This goes through milk bottles and even my milwaukee tool storage boxes like butter. It only shreds no crosscut. I would have liked crosscut, for small pieces, but the reality is that crosscut probably jams way more.

I also picked up 2 sets of utility shelves which will go to my son. I am going to refinish them with rustoleum as they are pretty rusted.

Attachments

• 20230221_152209.jpg
    20230221_152209.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230221_152402.jpg
    20230221_152402.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230106_125411.jpg
    20230106_125411.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230106_140710.jpg
    20230106_140710.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230106_140726.jpg
    20230106_140726.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 17
I didn't buy these, got them on freecycle. Before I got sick with Covid so about 3 weeks ago. Finally got it down the stairs today. Very heavy.
This is an office paper shredder, it's on steroids. it can do quite a lot of paper at once. But I don't want it for paper. After the post about melting plastic I have been looking for a shredder to modify and beef up. Most are too light duty to modify. After melting the HDPE and making bricks for machining, I was really vested in finding one. Yes it takes a long time to melt and make bricks, but I think I can get more efficient over time. And having found out that a lot of plastic STILL does NOT get recycled (too expensive) we are being fed lip service, I am helping recycle and get free blocks of HDPE and LDPE. This goes through milk bottles and even my milwaukee tool storage boxes like butter. It only shreds no crosscut. I would have liked crosscut, for small pieces, but the reality is that crosscut probably jams way more.

Criminy sakes, I thought you were actually asking around about paper shredders on this board to better shred documents, so I never read the thread. You are making blocks of machinable plastic... That is a very noble undertaking. Also a huge untapped resource. So... how's it working out? Is there a DIY plastic block thread? So much potential...

Criminy sakes, I thought you were actually asking around about paper shredders on this board to better shred documents, so I never read the thread. You are making blocks of machinable plastic... That is a very noble undertaking. Also a huge untapped resource. So... how's it working out? Is there a DIY plastic block thread? So much potential...
there was a thread by @MrWhoopee a while back https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/reclaiming-polyethylene-pipe.98240/. I gave it a try using hdpe.. It worked better than expected. I had cut pieces into chunks. And melted it all together. I would like to try the shredding, so I get more of a mix of colors. After seeing a guy make slingshots out of multi colors using 5 gal buckets, I was piqued. sometimes I'll need black, white or red.. sometimes multi color. I'll let you know how it goes, maybe I'll add onto the existing thread. It did take a few hours to do these 2 bricks.
But I think that's because this was the first big try. I want to do more, quicker, and maybe use multiple ovens. I picked up a pan at walmart, the problem with it, is the amount of draft, it makes it hard to press, because the slope of the sides allows squeeze out, and therefore reduces the pressure. I will probably make a new press plate to use in my hydraulic press. I quickly made a wood one when I realize the clamps were too slow.
I also need to get some silicone oven mits to twist for better hot working of the hot polyethlene.

Been watching saw chain prices go up along with everything else. I’ve never been pleased with resharpened chains but in all fairness, never really looked that hard. Enter my scratch and dent purchase:
85B3E2D5-47C0-46AD-89CF-5E03CC11E677.jpeg
$110 to the garage. Figured it could pay for itself in 3 chains. Didn’t really notice any scratches or dents. I sharpened a pretty tired chain today. Won’t know how I did until this weekend. I was impressed by the grind consistency tooth to tooth.

Back