What Did You Buy Today?

Bought a little over a week ago, and it arrived from The Land of OZ today:

Niroc Knockometer.jpg
A Niroc Knockometer, made by Corin Urquhart; 160gm Brass head with Carbide faces and an exquisitely made & finished Osage Orange handle. Pricey, and almost too nice to use, but beautiful. These are intended for straightening knife blades, but I discovered it watching Pask rivet his parallel jaw pliers. If you're interested in buying one, you will need to message Corin on FB (they won't let him sell on Marketplace as they've determined that it is a weapon).

Bought a little over a week ago, and it arrived from The Land of OZ today:

View attachment 440973
A Niroc Knockometer, made by Corin Urquhart; 160gm Brass head with Carbide faces and an exquisitely made & finished Osage Orange handle. Pricey, and almost too nice to use, but beautiful. These are intended for straightening knife blades, but I discovered it watching Pask rivet his parallel jaw pliers. If you're interested in buying one, you will need to message Corin on FB (they won't let him sell on Marketplace as they've determined that it is a weapon).
a hammer is a weapon? WTH. I'm not sure I would want carbide faces. I have never had a problem with a steel face, and personally don't see the need. Even steel would make a fine WEAPON...smh

If it wasn't for bad luck I guess I would be bored. In the middle of a job my old Bausch & Lomb X axis scale crapped out. Had to be the X axis because it is 45" long and the more expensive of the three. In all fairness, it was old, maybe 30+ years and .0005 resolution. But it was really all I needed. Dreading dropping big bucks on a new one, I started looking through the fleabay for a replacement. Not wanting to drill any additional holes in the table I figured I had my work cut out for me. Turned out there was one, an Acu-rite 45" overall, 5 micron (.0002) resolution, new in the box with all the mounting hardware and the manual for $380 plus shipping. Got the seller to eat the shipping so I got it for $409 to the door. I know that is still big bucks and they can be had for cheaper, but my other two scales are Acu-rite and my display is the newer Acu-rite so I felt I should buy once cry once. It fit in the existing holes and lined up perfectly.
The old Excello has a little new jewelry and I'm sleeping on the couch for the rest of the month unless I buy a little new jewelry for the boss.
IMG_9653.jpg

..... (they won't let him sell on Marketplace as they've determined that it is a weapon).
That's absolutely ludicrous! I can go punch "knife" into facebook marketplace search and get more "for sale" results that I can count.....cutlery, chef's knives, hunting knives, etc, etc.

So Fb is trying to say a hammer is a weapon but a Japanese Tanto or a KBar isn't?

That's effed up....

Last edited:
That's absolutely ludicrous! I can go punch "knife" into facebook marketplace search and get more "for sale" results that I can count.....cutlery, chef's knives, hunting knives, etc, etc.

So Fb is trying to say a hammer is a weapon but a Japanese Tanto or a KBar isn't?

That's effed up....
Maybe just the Aussie version? My knowledge comes from one of his posts earlier this year.

a hammer is a weapon? WTH. I'm not sure I would want carbide faces. I have never had a problem with a steel face, and personally don't see the need.

He uses Carbide since it’s normally used on hardened blades (peening the concave side). He states that he has whacked steel with them as hard as he can and hasn’t chipped any yet.

You can also get them with a Brass face (or faces), but don’t need to go halfway around the world for something like that.

I just dragged this into my shop!

s-l1600 (2).jpg

It's the super duper cycling version with the thermal reservoir. Should be nothing but sweet dry air from now on.

Ok, first I have to plumb it, so sweet dry air is "coming soon".

This is why it's a neat unit:

Screenshot 2023-03-13 135743.jpg

I just dragged this into my shop!

View attachment 441027

It's the super duper cycling version with the thermal reservoir. Should be nothing but sweet dry air from now on.

Ok, first I have to plumb it, so sweet dry air is "coming soon".

This is why it's a neat unit:

View attachment 441028
Looks interesting. It seems like a heater chiller with dehumidification? How large of an area can this handle?

Back