What Did You Buy Today?

I paid $72 to refill an 80 cu. ft. cylinder of oxygen.

Also, I paid $75 + $19 return shipping in order to have an acetylene regulator rebuilt.

I paid $72 to refill an 80 cu. ft. cylinder of oxygen.

Also, I paid $75 + $19 return shipping in order to have an acetylene regulator rebuilt.
I thought every thing in Canada was more expensive. Just filled my 80 cuft for $45.14 CDN

The brown truck brought two packages...

One had a drum switch for one of my Hendey lathes...

20230310_083508.jpg

The other was a semi-finished L-1 backplate...

20230310_083029.jpg

It is an 8" diameter, ordered from CME-tools.com. I'll machine it down to 6.340 to fit the 10" Buck Set-Tru that I bought the other day.

I also have an L-1 spindle wrench ordered. It should be here next week.

-Bear

Because two lathes just might not be enough....this is was just added. Logan 6510H, which is 14" swing and 28" or so between centers. Variable speed 55 to 2,000rpm and pretty stout/heavy for it's size.

This was at an auction and unfortunately they split up the tooling and the lathe. There wasn't a steady or follow rest so it was really just the chucks, faceplate and small stuff that I missed out on, but it was cheap....$700 out the door and only 30 minutes from home.

Funny thing is that I never actually bid on it because I knew I wasn't able to make the pickup day. Luckily for me, the winning bidder never paid. A friend bought some stuff from the auction and the auction folks told him the lathe was available and he knew I was interested. He was able to see it running and gave me a condition report, so I jumped on it.

There was a little loading "incident" (not my fault) that led to the carriage hand wheel pinion getting bent, but luckily that was the extent of the damage aside from a few paint scrapes. Logan still carries the part, so I have one ordered. I powered it up, ran it through all the speeds and feeds and it's smoooooth! The ways are like new, the compound shows no signs of crashes, and there's very little backlash anywhere. The owner told me he had it for over 40 years and only used it for his more precise turning work....did all his threading and parting on a much larger lathe and I believe it.

Now I need to buy a couple of chucks, order the steady and follow rest (Logan actually still offers them), and get a QCTP on the way as well.

I really wasn't familiar with the larger Logan models before this, but I'm impressed. Everything is considerably larger that I was expecting from just pictures...the short bed throws off my mental scale. My wife looked at it, liked the colors and markings and said "this is really cute" so I guess that's a win! I'm eager to see how it performs!

IMG_3571.JPG

Because two lathes just might not be enough....this is was just added. Logan 6510H, which is 14" swing and 28" or so between centers. Variable speed 55 to 2,000rpm and pretty stout/heavy for it's size.

This was at an auction and unfortunately they split up the tooling and the lathe. There wasn't a steady or follow rest so it was really just the chucks, faceplate and small stuff that I missed out on, but it was cheap....$700 out the door and only 30 minutes from home.

Funny thing is that I never actually bid on it because I knew I wasn't able to make the pickup day. Luckily for me, the winning bidder never paid. A friend bought some stuff from the auction and the auction folks told him the lathe was available and he knew I was interested. He was able to see it running and gave me a condition report, so I jumped on it.

There was a little loading "incident" (not my fault) that led to the carriage hand wheel pinion getting bent, but luckily that was the extent of the damage aside from a few paint scrapes. Logan still carries the part, so I have one ordered. I powered it up, ran it through all the speeds and feeds and it's smoooooth! The ways are like new, the compound shows no signs of crashes, and there's very little backlash anywhere. The owner told me he had it for over 40 years and only used it for his more precise turning work....did all his threading and parting on a much larger lathe and I believe it.

Now I need to buy a couple of chucks, order the steady and follow rest (Logan actually still offers them), and get a QCTP on the way as well.

I really wasn't familiar with the larger Logan models before this, but I'm impressed. Everything is considerably larger that I was expecting from just pictures...the short bed throws off my mental scale. My wife looked at it, liked the colors and markings and said "this is really cute" so I guess that's a win! I'm eager to see how it performs!

View attachment 440560
$700?

:you suck:

Back