What Did You Buy Today?

Got two packages of drill bits today. 0.5 & 0.55mm. They are made for circuit boards but I need to cleanup some glue spray nozzles. The only way I have to spin them fast enough is a pencil die grinder. Will mount that in a set-tru collet chuck that will not be used to spin the die grinder, just micro adjust it. The nozzles will be mounted in a tool holder and the carriage used to move the work into the drill. The nozzles have been damaged by getting burs pushed into the flow path. I just need to get the holes round again. There are several nozzles to be fixed and worth a try since they cost $280 each, German! Those bits look really small and likely easily broken.

O just buy whatever is on the shelves at PA for QD’s.

Actually that's the root of the problem.
When the compressor shuts off I can sit there and hear the ppppfffftttt at multiple points.
I go around and just rotate the male end of the quick connect and the sound changes at each leak as I try to find the least leaky position.
When the compressor keeps cycling on/off every hour or more when I have NOT touched an air tool in that time is just annoying.
(interrupt a conversation, miss a great song, startled and spill my coffee, etc.)

I had typically bought any old quick connects and I could swap a leaky pair (male and female) with a new crappy pair and be in exactly the same circumstance.

The good news?
Yesterday I found that Princess Auto now sells the Milton brand ones too!

However I have already ordered enough on amazon to replace all the ones in my shop.

Brian

Got two packages of drill bits today. 0.5 & 0.55mm. They are made for circuit boards but I need to cleanup some glue spray nozzles. The only way I have to spin them fast enough is a pencil die grinder. Will mount that in a set-tru collet chuck that will not be used to spin the die grinder, just micro adjust it. The nozzles will be mounted in a tool holder and the carriage used to move the work into the drill. The nozzles have been damaged by getting burs pushed into the flow path. I just need to get the holes round again. There are several nozzles to be fixed and worth a try since they cost $280 each, German! Those bits look really small and likely easily broken.
They are easily broken: I used a 0.1mm carbide bit to make an extra fine tip "center finder" for my Mini-Mill by carefully breaking the end of the bit off and mounting the shank in a 3/8":1/8" Amana reducing sleeve:

Center Pointer.jpg
Perfect for picking up scribed/center-punched locations (full credit to Frank Hoose, who told me he had found his in a set of small carbide bits; after several emails we both decided that it had originally been a very small bit that had the end broken off).

I didn't buy it, I got it on freecycle. I picked up a rolling around Air Conditioner on Freecycle. I have a feeling it stopped cooling for them as much as they hoped. All the coils were covered in lint and dust so no air was getting through. I'm glad I took it apart, and didn't just rely on vacumming and brushing what I could see. Because inside WAS THICK. My metal shop is in a section of the basement with no air flow. I have a couple of fans for the summer. Now I'll be able to cool down at little.:)

I bought a 2hp 3ph motor for my clausing 8520 mill. I plan on getting a cheap VFD to control it. I know pay once cry once. maybe I'll go better.
The motor is a made in USA Franklin. The original motor is 3/4, so when dialed down, it should be able to provide the torque ..

do any of VFD's provide 120 V output in addition to the 3ph 220v?? I would like to add a pancake fan to cool the TEFC motor when on. I know that when you turn down the RPM they don't get the cooling they need, so figured a 120v high cfm pancake fan will help it stay cool.

OK more of a rant, but I had to buy them. Have a PTO driveshaft on the snowblower that uses a friction clutch, came on a 5 ft rototiller. There are two friction plates that transmit the torque. They're simple washers 5 1/2 od 3 3/8ths ID made of whatever they face clutches with these days.
Can track them down on line for about $10 but only in the US and the dealers don't ship to Canada. Had to order them from a wholesale dealer through an auto parts store, for are you ready for this ????? $102 CDN.
Wonder why my backside is sore tonight. lol

Greg

OK more of a rant, but I had to buy them. Have a PTO driveshaft on the snowblower that uses a friction clutch, came on a 5 ft rototiller. There are two friction plates that transmit the torque. They're simple washers 5 1/2 od 3 3/8ths ID made of whatever they face clutches with these days.
Can track them down on line for about $10 but only in the US and the dealers don't ship to Canada. Had to order them from a wholesale dealer through an auto parts store, for are you ready for this ????? $102 CDN.
Wonder why my backside is sore tonight. lol

Greg
My son wanted to move to Canada because he loves Hockey so much. I'm glad life caught up to him (wife, baby) and hockey while still ever present, was not the top priority anymore. First it would be a long trip to see him, and second, you guys get ripped off on everything. shipping, cost of goods, taxes, allegiance to the crown...

Back