What Did You Buy Today?

I was going through an old tool box the other day and found the first thing I made in a lathe. I was a freshman in high school taking a course called "General Metals". One quarter each of Electricity, Welding, Sheet Metal, and Machine Shop. I got a B+ on the project, see the square shoulder, I forgot to change tools. We had to draw file the flats, I got the + because i polished it to a 400 finish. It's the old story, one shot and you're hooked.

Very nice job and very nice you found it. I would hang it up in your shop to remind you of what ignited your interest in metalworking and also to remind you of your youth.

I have an old Starrett vernier caliper of my father’s that is probably from when he was a young man. I have it hanging up above my lathe. It brings back good memories for me.

BCC253CF-F585-4D7E-A548-E5DC417B4B2C.jpeg

Very nice job and very nice you found it. I would hang it up in your shop to remind you of what ignited your interest in metalworking and also to remind you of your youth.

I have an old Starrett vernier caliper of my father’s that is probably from when he was a young man. I have it hanging up above my lathe. It brings back good memories for me.

View attachment 312438

Nice!

I need to hang me some peg boards like that. I have no space for things! Hey, I know that box wrench! :)

Nice!

I need to hang me some peg boards like that. I have no space for things! Hey, I know that box wrench! :)

Will, the peg board is thick plastic; spray from the lathe doesn’t stain it and wipes off easily. It has worked out well so far.

Box wrench!? Yah, I guess it kind of looks like one, or even an “all sixteenth”.

Will, the peg board is thick plastic; spray from the lathe doesn’t stain it and wipes off easily. It has worked out well so far.

Box wrench!? Yah, I guess it kind of looks like one, or even an “all sixteenth”.

Well that's what they call those wrenches with a closed end, don't know who comes up with these names. My old tool post wrench was an Armstrong open end, those were called "engineer's wrench". :D

I was thinking about getting these peg boards but not for sure yet. Still haven't decided what size & orientation though (horizontal vs vertical). Problem I have is I have a piggy back 17 gal air tank behind the lathe.

Well that's what they call those wrenches with a closed end, don't know who comes up with these names. My old tool post wrench was an Armstrong open end, those were called "engineer's wrench". :D

I was thinking about getting these peg boards but not for sure yet. Still have decided what size & orientation though (horizontal vs vertical).

Will, I purchased the pegboard from Diamond Life Gear. They have many types, including, black and white plastic, stainless, brushed aluminum, diamond plate...:

This may not be an issue in CA but If you use several sheets you may need to leave a bit of an expansion joint.

Mike

Nice!

Will, a little slow here today. I thought you were referring to the old vernier as a box wrench. Just realized you meant the QCTP wrench you sold me that is also on the pegboard.

I bumped into a deal in the welding shop I used to frequent on a close out/intro on a jet 6" grinder with a Mulitool. It been my main grinder for 20yrs but didn't use the belt sander that much. Then DavidR8 mentioned scotchbrite non woven belts for polishing so I got to digging and unfortunately the MultiTool uses a 2x36 belt which kinda proprietary. But then is see this deal on eBay with 4 abrasive belts, a felt belt, 2 disks and 4 buffing sticks for $85. So went for it. My first project was to radius and polish my cheapo body hammers. The hammer on the left is stock, and the one on the right is after. I'm stoked, never done any polishing before. The grinding took a while but the buff was literally minutes. I know, diamond necklace on a pig but sure is shiny!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    127 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Wasn't a purchase, not with my own money that is. So to my surprise @mikey & @mmcmdl were up to no good & were scheming against me. :D Knowing that I've never owned one for myself, they pitched in together & gifted me my very first Albrecht. Well techincally I purchased a baby one not too long ago but they must have been planning this before I got that.

Dave sent the chuck to Mike & Mike spent time to disassemble & reassemble it to make sure it was in good working order. It looks well used on the outside but it's smooth & has low runout. Been wanting another keyless chuck on a 1/2" shank & this should fill that void.

I can't thank Mike & Dave enough. Totally unexpected & still in shock that they did this for me. I'm very lucky to have them as friends & we are very lucky that they share their great knowledge with us here for us to learn.

buddies.gifhighfive.gifbuddies.gifhighfive.gif

20200202_184639.jpg

Back