What Did You Buy Today?

Usually get about 22-24 face cord out of a load like this, or 8 bush cord. The great goddess google says 20 million btu/cord for hard maple and red oak. So 160 million but to heat the house and shop. Not to mention the several million btu's I expend handling it. But I built a processor a few years ago that takes a LOT of work out of the equation.

Greg

This year's Cabin Fever purchases:

20240112 Cabin Fever Purchases.jpeg
Left:
  • From the 3/$1 Guy
    • 2 "drifts"
    • Hyde-style utility knife
  • From the Guy in a Bowler Hat (you know who I mean, I can never remember his name):
    • 2, 12"± 5/8"Ø Teflon rods
    • Square cross-section, Made in USA" 6" rule
    • Scherr-Tumico 1"—2" Disk Micrometer
Center:
  • Consignment Area:
    • 6, 1/4-20 Aluminum toe-clamps
  • From some dude at one of the tables in the back of the Large Vendor Room:
    • BZG PolyPlan Made in Geneva unusual, cylindrical beam 6" Vernier Caliper; 1/128" & 0.001"
Right: (all from Seth @ Carevich):
  • #4 x6" HSS (England) Center Drill
  • Starrett #303, 4" Rule w/end graduations
  • B&S 4" Straight Edge
  • Set of 4, Lufkin Adjustable Parallels (in a ratty Leatherette case, which is now in the trash)
  • 10, miscellaneous micrometer wrenches (2/$1)

Not as big a haul as last year, but didn't see anything that really grabbed me. With the exception of the Vernier Caliper which I bought because it is different, everything else I know I can put to good use.

"Negative" purchases (sold in the Consignment Area, not shown)
  • Like New Architectural Swing Arm Clamp Base Worklight (I still have the new one and a Used Good one ;) )
  • Starrett #284 29° Acme Thread Gage
  • Starrett #178-B Fillet/Radius Gage
  • 12" Combination Square Head (only)
  • 5, Misc. Indicator Clamps/Snugs

I also picked up a couple of orders I placed late last year from the LMS booth; mostly odds & ends of spare parts (including a backplate for my 5" Accusize 3-jaw), but also these:

LMS 5929 Indexible End Mill Set.jpeg
1/2" Shank Indexible End Mill Set (3/8", 1/2" & 5/8"); the Wiha wrench was extra.

LMS 4836 T-Slot Coumpound Rest.jpeg
T-Slot Compound Rest Top for 7x Mini-Lathes (7x16 in my case).

Last edited:
LMS 4836 T-Slot Coumpound Rest.jpeg

T-Slot Compound Rest Top for 7x Mini-Lathes (7x16 in my case).
I didn't know these were available for mini-lathes, now I do. Thank you. :encourage:

I'm guessing it's this one: https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4836&category=

What's the finish like on the above LMS version? If it's any good I might consider swallowing the shipping over the puddle to Blighty. Oh and does it come with a gib (the actual dimensions and thus trapezoidal shape of the gibs seem to vary from mini lathe to mini lathe)? I see it doesn't.

Oh well, might be worth a punt. Shipping is pretty much the same as the cost of the part. Hmmm...

Last edited:
I didn't know these were available for mini-lathes, now I do. Thank you. :encourage:

I'm guessing it's this one: https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4836&category=

What's the finish like on the above LMS version? If it's any good I might consider swallowing the shipping over the puddle to Blighty. Oh and does it come with a gib (the actual dimensions and thus trapezoidal shape of the gibs seem to vary from mini lathe to mini lathe)? I see it doesn't.

Oh well, might be worth a punt. Shipping is pretty much the same as the cost of the part. Hmmm...
Basically the same finish as what came on the lathe: no burrs, edges broken (but I will break a little more with a file and knock the corners off). It's about 3/16" longer than the original, but the gib screw location spacing is the same so the original gib would work. LMS also has a set of brass gibs:

LMS 3843 Brass Gibs.jpeg
Or, you can get a regular replacement:

LMS 1110 Std Compound Gib.jpeg

Basically the same finish as what came on the lathe: no burrs, edges broken (but I will break a little more with a file and knock the corners off). It's about 3/16" longer than the original, but the gib screw location spacing is the same so the original gib would work. LMS also has a set of brass gibs:

View attachment 474087
Or, you can get a regular replacement:

View attachment 474088
Ah but will the gibs fit the male dovetails on my 7x14? I got some replacement brass gibs from ArcEuroTrade and those should have fitted but didn't; the trapezoid had slightly different dimensions. My 7x14 is a Weiss WBL1835, which seems to be a weird mix of Seig C3, SC3, and maybe CJ18A.

Might give it a punt though; £60-odd seems worth it to maybe get the T-slots.

Ah but will the gibs fit the male dovetails on my 7x14? I got some replacement brass gibs from ArcEuroTrade and those should have fitted but didn't; the trapezoid had slightly different dimensions. My 7x14 is a Weiss WBL1835, which seems to be a weird mix of Seig C3, SC3, and maybe CJ18A.

Might give it a punt though; £60-odd seems worth it to maybe get the T-slots.
Email LMS and ask if the top & gibs are compatible with you 7x14: they say SEIG C3 7x14 is compatible, but they can check and save you cost and trouble. Give them a couple of days to respond: have of their team are at Cabin Fever in Pennsylvania, and won't be heading across country until sometime tomorrow after they pack up the booth.

Went in the bin of 1/4" 4fl end mills. None left. So ordered 10 accupro 1/4" coated carbide 4fl by 3/4" loc. Not as cheap as the atrax they're replacing, so I hope they last longer.

Try to do a lot of milling with 1/8" and 1/4" carbide. That always seems to have the best bang for the buck.

Went in the bin of 1/4" 4fl end mills. None left. So ordered 10 accupro 1/4" coated carbide 4fl by 3/4" loc. Not as cheap as the atrax they're replacing, so I hope they last longer.

Try to do a lot of milling with 1/8" and 1/4" carbide. That always seems to have the best bang for the buck.
Stefan discussed this in his Q&A video: there is a significant price jump above 1/4” / 6mm carbide end mills.

Back