What Did You Buy Today?

Where did you buy that from if you don't mind me asking? That adapter plate in the foreground looks medium handy. ;)

Import job I'm afraid. Indian manufacture. It will do what I need whilst I sort what I actually want, which is three times the price for much better quality.

Import job I'm afraid. Indian manufacture. It will do what I need whilst I sort what I actually want, which is three times the price for much better quality.
Oh one of the eBay sellers right.

I already have an import vertical slide which looks a bit massier than the one you've ordered but the bits supplied with mine to attach to the cross slide seem a bit less rigid than the plate supplied with yours.

I was planning on making a better adaptor plate myself anyway but when I saw your post I wondered if I could delay that job and get a plate from your supplier.

Oh one of the eBay sellers right.

I already have an import vertical slide which looks a bit massier than the one you've ordered but the bits supplied with mine to attach to the cross slide seem a bit less rigid than the plate supplied with yours.

I was planning on making a better adaptor plate myself anyway but when I saw your post I wondered if I could delay that job and get a plate from your supplier.

Actually, funny you ask that, I noted that you COULD buy just the attachment plate on its own. Mount plate is £36.62p as a standalone.

Seemed easier for me to purchase the slide and mount plate as one transaction, rather than mess about. The plate is worth more to me than the overall price including the slide (slide works out at £75-ish) purely for the ability to use other slides and generally use it as a versatile mount for a good few different setups. Also noted they shipped it FedEx which was a surprise.

Try THIS LINK comes out at £49.90p shipped with the £13.28 shipping fee.

slide listing.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, funny you ask that, I noted that you COULD buy just the attachment plate on its own. Mount plate is £36.62p as a standalone.

Seemed easier for me to purchase the slide and mount plate as one transaction, rather than mess about. The plate is worth more to me than the overall price including the slide (slide works out at £75-ish) purely for the ability to use other slides and generally use it as a versatile mount for a good few different setups. Also noted they shipped it FedEx which was a surprise.

Try THIS LINK comes out at £49.90p shipped with the £13.28 shipping fee.

View attachment 487815
Thank you, appreciate the extra help there. :eagerness:

Thank you, appreciate the extra help there. :eagerness:

No problem, thats what forums are for... sharing info et-al.

Now, if I could only find someone local with a mill big enough to machine the underside of the feet flat of the new bed for the 7x I am rebuilding.

No problem, thats what forums are for... sharing info et-al.

Now, if I could only find someone local with a mill big enough to machine the underside of the feet flat of the new bed for the 7x I am rebuilding.
I've just removed the paint (yep, Weiss painted the feet of the bed) and the surface was surprisingly smooth.

Putting the bed on the granite offcut I've now got and looking for light from the lamp I've got behind it and checking for any rock and roll, seems to indicate my bed's feet are flat individually, dimensionally equal height-wise and both on the same plane as each other.

I'm fighting the urge to run a dti over the feet. The granite offcut, though visually very flat and smooth, is no surface plate, but then...

...for Pete's sake Steve...just stop it, stop it now! :eek:

Sometimes I wonder if just don't want to enjoy myself! :rolleyes:

I've just removed the paint (yep, Weiss painted the feet of the bed) and the surface was surprisingly smooth.

Putting the bed on the granite offcut I've now got and looking for light from the lamp I've got behind it and checking for any rock and roll, seems to indicate my bed's feet are flat individually, dimensionally equal height-wise and both on the same plane as each other.

I'm fighting the urge to run a dti over the feet. The granite offcut, though visually very flat and smooth, is no surface plate, but then...

...for Pete's sake Steve...just stop it, stop it now! :eek:

Sometimes I wonder if just don't want to enjoy myself! :rolleyes:

OT I know, but...

TBF, I would rather know 100% that the feet are flat/level to each other and the bedway BEFORE I spend time building the thing up.

At least then I could concentrate on getting everything else where I want it to be in terms of fitment and accuracy, as accurate as a 7x can could ever be, which is a task unto itself.

Whilst my SC3 is "doing the job for now" without any mods other than A/C spindle bearings, it does have all the "usual" problems, including the Cross slide screw nut fixings back-winding despite having thread-locked them.... Another one of those "I'll fix that B!"££$%d whilst I am rebuilding the other lathe" jobs!

Saying that, I just ordered this 1300w Brushless motor kit (£370 OUCH!) for the 7x I am rebuilding, so should be on with some rebuild work on it soon. Have almost everything I need to fully start the rebuild now, other than an ELS kit, which I am currently reconsidering whether I actually need or not, though it is an easy enough retro fit.

Yes, I can acquire spare boards for this and yes, I will be doing exactly that soon enough so that I have spares to hand.

motor kit.png

Back