What Did You Buy Today?

I got so lucky today, a little bit of a long story. My son's boat has cracked welds on his aluminum T top for his boat, the fabricator here has been too busy for over 3 months. In May the miller dealer here had a welding show, and I went to the store today to buy a spool gun so I can take out, and replace the tubing. The counter person(long time employee) said I have to sell you the demo model from the show, I said sure. I bought extra spools, wire brushes, and tips to practice with when he went to make the invoice, and get prices, he said oh, they expensed the gun out, it's free, I just had to pay for the miscellaneous other items. :faint:

I got so lucky today, a little bit of a long story. My son's boat has cracked welds on his aluminum T top for his boat, the fabricator here has been too busy for over 3 months. In May the miller dealer here had a welding show, and I went to the store today to buy a spool gun so I can take out, and replace the tubing. The counter person(long time employee) said I have to sell you the demo model from the show, I said sure. I bought extra spools, wire brushes, and tips to practice with when he went to make the invoice, and get prices, he said oh, they expensed the gun out, it's free, I just had to pay for the miscellaneous other items. :faint:

Quick, hurry go out and buy the Lotto ticket ... seriously smoking deal

Online I see it for 600+, my company discount would have been 450 something, and I thought that would have been a good deal.

Once you start welding aluminum with it, you will know just how good a deal it was (err, mine was $1200 used, albeit for double the amps)

I seriously consider aluminum production work to be a MIG process these days. Unless the work is very fine. Makes that soft funny-heat metal a breeze to work with.

you suck!

(j/k)

Personally, I prefer to tig aluminum. I do have a spool gun for my weldmate 180 lincoln, but I find its just starting to get in to the amperage range I want for most aluminum work. 180 amps just doesn’t cut it for me anymore so the spool gun mostly just gathers dust on the weld cart bottom shelf…

On Ally, clean, clean, clean!
You need to groove or gap it, you won't get any penetration between tight fitted parts.
Build up the weld and don't grind it flush. Ally welds are soft.

Apologies if these are cheese consumption guidelines

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Back