What do you make with your lathe and mill that's not tooling, a jig or fixture, but something that is useful to the average person?

I make a point of using the lathe whenever I can to make parts for home repairs, and then making sure she knows it.
I've also made some parts for projects of hers, like a base for a jewelry stand she bought , and some odd ball thread
screws for a piece of furniture she brought home. If you can make parts for stuff that matters to your wife, she'll
probably come around.

Plenty.
There is a great sense of satisfaction that comes from repairing something that then turns out better than it was originally designed and extends it's useful life.

Replacement hinges to replace the cheap cast ones in the kitchen. The top pic is the prototype. I’ve made 8 so far and the replacement cost would have been $25 each for discontinued NOS pieces.

I enjoy making and giving gifts to family and friends. My Impossible Dovetail Puzzles are a big hit. I've also made 3 brass Stirling 60 engines for gifts. These items become beloved family heirlooms... I've also recently made a gyroscope. I plan on making some spinning tops soon as well.

Ted

I've mostly made tools, but my lathe also kept my car out of a shop twice. My wife sees it as a handy thing to have, but the thing that most impressed her? When she saw a die holder I made for the tail stock. Rather, not the holder it's self, but the SCREWS I made for it. That just amazed her, and convinced her of it's worth right there. LOL

One of a kind,

Took a break from making tools and made a bathroom stand out of a teak cutting board and some stainless banister rungs. Parted the legs off to length and made some little plastic pads for the feet on the lathe. Offered it to her saying ''a one of a kind woman deserves a one of a kind table'. Then went back to making tools. Life is good.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back