What have you done in your shop lately?

Back to work on the shop for the summer. Extending the loft area off of the bar for parts storage. Was planning to make it a little larger, but after mocking up the two post lift site and putting my largest vehicle on it, it became apparent that it would have to be scaled down some for the approach angle to the lift to work well . Made the steel posts for the loft support from some re-repurposed drill pipe. Got a start on the walls for the bar, hopefully have the four sections up by the end of next week, other chores permitting. Leaning toward a fabricated steel landing and staircase. Just have to come up with an interesting design. Kind of looking forward to doing a little metal work. Mike
IMG_20190516_175300931.jpg

I received a quill wheel set up for my mill from Jim Enos. Here is the video I made showing how I adapted it to my Lagun FT2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received a quill wheel set up for my mill from Jim Enos. Here is the video I made showing how I adapted it to my Lagun FT2
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very neat. I wonder if adding an option for one-handed spinner steering wheel would make it any better.

I think what it really needs is some fuzzy dice hanging above it. ;) Cheers, Mike

I became frustrated, chasing threads. When I worked professionally, all our lathes had adjustable stops so that we could back the cross slide out, traverse to the start of the thread and turn the cross slide in to the stop, advance the compound and take the next cut. I wanted to do this on my new PM1030 lathe.

I had made some T nust for the cross slide, so I made an L shape piece, secured it to a T nut, and put an adjuster below the top plate. Of course I can't slam into it, but it allowed me to make 15 peices threaded, in far less time than resettling the cross slide to zero each pass.

(With luck) here's what it looks likeThread stop 3.jpgThread stop 1.JPG

Attachments

• Thread stop 1.JPG
    Thread stop 1.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Thread stop 3.jpg
    Thread stop 3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 15
I became frustrated, chasing threads. When I worked professionally, all our lathes had adjustable stops so that we could back the cross slide out, traverse to the start of the thread and turn the cross slide in to the stop, advance the compound and take the next cut. I wanted to do this on my new PM1030 lathe.

I had made some T nust for the cross slide, so I made an L shape piece, secured it to a T nut, and put an adjuster below the top plate. Of course I can't slam into it, but it allowed me to make 15 peices threaded, in far less time than resettling the cross slide to zero each pass.

(With luck) here's what it looks likeView attachment 295361View attachment 295360

Very good idea. Basically so you don't have to stare at the dial to know it's at 0, or which 0 it currently is at.

My dial lock is not that good, so if I accidentally bumping it out of place, it's not pretty. I can still reset it, but it's not exact.

My Dad was over a few weeks ago. He's 87 and uses a cane now. He's also tall and I noticed his cane was too short because he was hunched over. Not a complicated project to make a press in extension. I'm sure others have the same problem, but don't have sons with a lathe. He showed up yesterday, an hour or so later, he's way more comfortable. As Tubalcain says, anyone with 10k worth of tools can make a $5 part. Glad I could help.

I made 10 more linear feet of wall space for benches and tools by moving my mom's boxes into storage:)
storage.jpeg

It's mostly stuff she hasn't looked at for 10 years but can't quite get rid of yet. This is actually part of my master plan to get the rest of my shop into the garage and empty out the big storage that has leftover stuff from my business.

John

Today I took out the DRO I ordered on Ebay to check it out, since I didn't install it yet. Just to make sure if there is a problem, I can return within the return window.

The most time I spent was looking for an adapter for holding the test indicator on the magnetic stand.

At the end, I just said to myself why not drill the hole bigger on the clamp included with the stand. That was done in a minute.

I don't know how to test this, but it appears to be good with 1/10th thous.

Attachments

• 20190528_154025.jpg
    20190528_154025.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190528_134132.jpg
    20190528_134132.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 20
I think I have that exact carpet, it looks frighteningly familiar.

Today: vise jaws. Brass, aluminum, delrin, wood, and (mild) steel. For the filing vise. The cheap counterbore set I had is 1/32 oversize, and the pilot seized in the on-size clearance hole in the steel, so that pair isn't actually finished yet. I made an extra wood set, for covering in either felt or leather (undecided).

Probably should do this on a more limited scale for all of the machine vises - at least a set of brass or aluminum jaws for each.

Back