What Is A ==========

I think of myself as a SOTPM.

I never learned the trade (I'm a self taught computer guy). I never had much teaching of mechanical things (dad's interest was music and he couldn't hammer a nail).

I got a lathe, started using it, reading, watching videos, etc.

Everything I did and most things I do now are by the seat of my pants. With a little help here and there from forums like this and from a good friend that is a tool and die maker.

Todays Flying by the Seat of the Pants job that was to big for the machine
1 Remove Gap
2 Install faceplate
3 Turn pilot to center 3 jaw to faceplate (on another lathe)
4 Bolt chuck to faceplate
5 Have one of the guys that run a mill make soft jaws from 2 X 3 1018 bar stock 10" long
6 Weld pads to jaws
7 Turn the toolpost so that the dovetail is on the operators side
8 I then turned a shallow pocket in the jaws at the minimum diameter that the tool would reach, chucked a piece of 9" Dia. tubing and turned the ID to set the dro X dimension.
9 Chuck a disk on the inside of the jaws to hold them whilst turning
10 Turn a 28" Dia X 3/8" deep pocket in the jaws
11 Weld a hook (I also do the welding in this shop) onto the OD of the part so that I can lift it with the hoist into the chuck, the blank is just over 200 Lb's and is plasma/laser cut 304 SS from plate
12 Chuck part and cut hook off with an abrasive disk in a die grinder
13 Turn boring bar upsidedown, run spindle in reverse to turn slightly more then 1/2 of the thickness. It is a fairly stout 2 1/2" round bar.
14 Reset the tool height because it is now upsidedown
15 Take a cut until it cleans up, dig out the 40" Mitutoyo vernier caliper, measure the OD and set the dro X axis dimension. This is where I left it today, will begin again tomorrow morning, the finished OD is 27.500 ± .015, 15 man hours of setup so far, for 1 part.
The reason that I bolted a chuck to a faceplate is that we do not have a 4 jaw large enough and the largest one does not have 2 piece jaws so I couldn't use soft jaws. The 15" 3 jaw was not meant for use on this lathe so I had to improvise. The reason that I am using a boring bar upside down is that the part is only 1" thick and the gap is 12-14" wide, reaching the part without running the carriage into the gap demanded it, the chuck on the faceplate also gets the part closer to the tool over the gap. I also pushed a live center from the tailstock against the face to make sure that it stays in the shallow jaw pocket during OD roughing.

Now, that is what I think a SOTP type of person is. You did a lot of SOPT engineering JUST in the setup.

Rodney

Now, that is what I think a SOTP type of person is. You did a lot of SOPT engineering JUST in the setup.

Rodney
It's not actually very difficult. it is mostly planning ahead, what operation needs to be done in what order, and not getting ahead of yourself. I write in longhand on paper the order of each operation so that I do not have to back up and move the part again or change tools, I get this right about half of the time.

Last edited:
Seat of the Pants Machinist = Makes what you need out of what you've got.
Eventually a really good one can say;
"We've done so much with so little for so long that now we can do everything with nothing...and do it fast"

I try to not let too many of my customers know I have that talent... :grin:
However IMO that is what a SOTP Machinist can do.

And in my case... a SOTP Tchnician.

The newbie needs to learn that. You don't buy new stock when you have some acceptable stock left over from another job. Points well taken.

"Billy G"

The newbie needs to learn that. You don't buy new stock when you have some acceptable stock left over from another job. Points well taken.
"Billy G"
Young people's "go to" answer for everything seems to be to buy something. My last 20 years in business before retiring was in partnership with my sons. (not machining but building contractors). One of my sons hated clutter and was always throwing usable scrap away. I kept telling him that I refuse to bring something to the dump on Tuesday and then buy it again on Friday. As the head cheese he had to comply but I never really convinced him until he had his own house, kids and dog. When every penny counted he suddenly saw the light.

Ain't that the truth. LOL

"Billy G"

More improvisation, drilled 1 1/4 center hole, faced with a different boring bar then made an extension on top of the compound in order to get a 5/8" shank .100 wide face grooving tool across that pesky gap, fortunately I had a BXA toolpost in my toolbox from a lathe that I used to own. The tool block on the right is from the post normally on this lathe, haven't tried this setup yet so do not know if it will chatter or not, the groove is .120 wide X .100 deep with an OD of 24+ inches.
Faced at 40 RPM's .006" per revolution, 2 passes at 50+ minutes each so it was a boring day indeed.
drill_zpsmzezfb6x.jpg
facing_zpsminn6j1u.jpg
bxa_zpsjrtxanfj.jpg

drill_zpsmzezfb6x.jpg

facing_zpsminn6j1u.jpg

bxa_zpsjrtxanfj.jpg

When you leave that shop it's gonna be hell around there.

"Billy G"

Back