What is Needed for Making a Gear?

Mine is the same one I think? It keeps surprisingly good concentricity, definitely good enough for the small gears I was doing.

I thought I had ordered the same one... Now looking at your photos again, yours is a 3-jaw chuck.... sigh... I am not ordering another one for now... at least not until I test the runout on this one.

This one is a self-centering 4-jaw chuck... if that makes any difference... I will measure runout after April 18, when I get back...
But I do have a center for this... and a dog that I could use as well... I will just need to make the tailstock for it...
It makes all the difference in the world. Once the runout is known, it'll only be a matter of tolerance for the runout. A tailstock will make a tremendous difference. Especially when the OD of the gear is smaller than the table. Small gears and large cutters need run through space so you can finish the cut without hitting the chuck/table. A stack of spacers can be used in a pinch, if the mandrel allows. I do a lot of gears without a tailstock. It just depends on sizing.

Back