What is Needed for Making a Gear?

My stuff stays with me until they pat me in the face with a shovel.
Maybe I'll change my views some day, not. :)
I'm sure you and everyone else has surplus of some items. Doesn't seem to stop us from collecting more, though. At least for me, I'm close to the limit, unless I move, or seriously reorganize things. Doesn't look like I'm moving in the immediate future, so that basement reorganization is going to have to happen. Hope to get to it within the next few months. It's overdue.

Jaime, don't you have a drill press? is there an MT2 taper on the drill press?

If not, I know some guy on here that has a basement full of STUFF that he is looking to get rid of. If you can get him to get off his rear and go down there, I'll bet he can find you a MT2 drill chuck for a good price... On the other hand, he might not be in the mood to part with anything right now...
i'll have to find me a Geo Head with a MT2 mount.. think that will be possible? Tailstock is all about MT2 mounts

i'll have to find me a Geo Head with a MT2 mount.. think that will be possible? Tailstock is all about MT2 mounts
Man, I am still trying to find what a double tapered mandrel looks like… What the heck is a Geo head!!???

@wachuko they look like this
s-l500.jpg
Used between centers. The other kind of mandrel, with simple slits
s-l500 (1).jpg
seems to slip when you need it the most. I made one, and it was ok, but it did slip on occasion. Making a gear, you can't have the gear slip or rotate on the shaft. You could also use a nut mandrel, where the gear blank is clamped by a nut against a flange on the shaft.

I'm sure you and everyone else has surplus of some items. Doesn't seem to stop us from collecting more, though. At least for me, I'm close to the limit, unless I move, or seriously reorganize things. Doesn't look like I'm moving in the immediate future, so that basement reorganization is going to have to happen. Hope to get to it within the next few months. It's overdue.
I’m sure you’ll find some stuff you haven’t seen in years :)

Back