What job did you do today in your shop?

Carb rebuilt, installed on the argo and everything is running much better.

What I figure was wrong was the fuel supply hose was breaking down. When I popped the bowl off the carb, you could see black bits in there. Turns out it was little bits of rubber. So what was likely happening is the little bits would get stirred up, block the main jet and stall the rig. once stalled, the rubber bit dropped away and it would run again.

A final little "p-o" was the hose itself. Yes, little bits were coming loose and fouling the carb jet, but upon closer inspection the hose had a "flap" right up by the end. You couldn't see it and when pushed on to the carb inlet barb, the flap would "deploy". The it would intermittently cover the inlet and choke the fuel off.

So yeah, carb rebuild and new section of fuel hose fixed it.

With that sorted, it's time to pull a couple tires off that keep going flat overnight and then install the snow tracks.

Gratuitous Argo pics (since we all like pics):

Carb rebuilt, installed on the argo and everything is running much better.

What I figure was wrong was the fuel supply hose was breaking down. When I popped the bowl off the carb, you could see black bits in there. Turns out it was little bits of rubber. So what was likely happening is the little bits would get stirred up, block the main jet and stall the rig. once stalled, the rubber bit dropped away and it would run again.

A final little "p-o" was the hose itself. Yes, little bits were coming loose and fouling the carb jet, but upon closer inspection the hose had a "flap" right up by the end. You couldn't see it and when pushed on to the carb inlet barb, the flap would "deploy". The it would intermittently cover the inlet and choke the fuel off.

So yeah, carb rebuild and new section of fuel hose fixed it.

With that sorted, it's time to pull a couple tires off that keep going flat overnight and then install the snow tracks.

Gratuitous Argo pics (since we all like pics):

Yep, I've seen that before with the fuel hose. Replacing them just became standard at my shop since ethanol speeds up degradation and changing them out is fairly easy most times.

John

Yep, I've seen that before with the fuel hose. Replacing them just became standard at my shop since ethanol speeds up degradation and changing them out is fairly easy most times.

John
Yep, now I have to break two tires down on the rim and figure out why they are leaking. 9 times out of ten with these rims, there's a spot that has a little rust bubble and keeps the bead from sealing.

Of course, the bush sticking out from under the bead isn't helping one of them. Last time I had it out I popped a bead and when I re-seated it (field repair so it was quick and dirty), I missed the "foliage" that had become trapped half in-half out of the wheel.

Easy fix. Pop the bead, clean the rim and re-seat the bead.

Another argo pic:

fr_3132.jpg

Last edited:
A few days ago, I did not even know what an AGRO was, now I am wondering how I will live without one. o_O
Argo, not agro…;)

Head over to you tube if you want to see what they can do.

They’re not fast, but they can’t be stopped either. They’re basically a workhorse.

Tops out around 20 mph, runs for 8 hrs on a tank of gas, dead nuts simple to fix in the boonies.

You don’t really want them to go any faster anyways. Speed and skid steer are not a good combination! I’ve seen them hopped up for “racing” and the skid steer accidents are pretty violent. Slow and steady wins the race in my books.

They ride rough as theres no suspension but tires. But that also means you can toss 1000-1500 lbs in the back and tow 3500-4000 lbs. We once used my 8x8 to build a buddies cabin back in the woods. The argo dragged all the building supplies in: lumber, tools, concrete bags, shingles. All of it. He bought his own new argo when it was finished as nothing else was getting in there unless it was winter and you had a snowmobile.

I used to go out with some friends on quads. They’d Rip off ahead and leave me in the dust. About 10-15 mins later I’d come upon them trying to pull a quad out of a mud hole or back up an embankment. Hook the argo on and drag them out, even if its upside down. Them they’d rip off ahead again and the process repeats.

Its also nice to be warm and dry at the end of a trail ride. My buds on quads are mud and water head to toe while I’m sitting there in saddles and a dry, clean t-shirt.

We had a saying amongst argo guys: if you get stuck, the only thing getting you out is another argo or a helicopter.

If you have a heart condition, do yourself a favor and DON’T look at how much a new one costs. Even okd used ones command a pretty high price. Mine wouldn’t go for a penny less than 5 grand and its a 1985. Anything cheaper is going to need serious maintenance and these things need a lot of it. Theres more than 60 feet of doubke roller 50 chain under the floor boards and lots of sprockets to wear. Axle bearings also take a beating and so do the seals. As soon as the bearings wear, the seals go and then it will take on a lot of water….

Last edited:
Installed the snow tracks today:

AF89A132-5870-417A-8D2F-4CA4E23EFB5D.jpeg

71CE96D9-B121-4BD9-9569-16BEB1398807.jpeg

The thing is literally unstoppable with the tracks. Only time I’ve ever gotten it stuck with tracks was one time we broke through thin ice and couldn’t climb back up the edge. We just floated for about 20 mins and when one of my quad guys came by, we threw them a strap, tired to a tree and just winched it back on to the ice. Never even got wet.

If the tracks weren’t so hard on the drivetrain (bearings seals, chains sprockets) I’d leave them on year round. Places it gets stuck on 8 wheels (mostly hill climbs where it digs in and stops) it just motors on by…

Cutting brake working now?

Is that a snow fluke strapped to the rack on back? Can you winch on it?

Can you ford the vehicle with tracks?
(Ford means to make a wet crossing, not to spontaneously fall apart underway as the name implies)

Cutting brake working now?

Is that a snow fluke strapped to the rack on back? Can you winch on it?

Can you ford the vehicle with tracks?
(Ford means to make a wet crossing, not to spontaneously fall apart underway as the name implies)
Yes.

no idea what a snow fluke is, but if you mean the triangular shaped thing, its a land anchor For winching when nothing is around to hook too…

Okay, you didn't like the Ford joke... Sorry for that. I mean, sorry that Ford guys are so weird with their tastes.

Yes, that's a new word for your vocabulary. A fluke is a spade with a two-point connection to a pull line for anchoring in snow. Brilliant.

Back