What job did you do today in your shop?

My younger brother had a Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special and it was very quick! I cannot imagine this build!
or this one!
Major sized attachments!
I’ve had several RD350/400’s. Used to amateur race them at shubie.

Truth be told, I was better at building them than racing them. After one rather spectacular get-off (people were sure I was dead and there wasn’t a single useable part left on the bike), I decided my path was building them for others rather than risking my life every weekend.

A guy can only tumble so far and get hit in the face by his own crotch so many times before he figures out this just isn’t for him….

My brother moved without taking the bike and had me sell it. The guy who bought it was racing it in a stock class. His only concern after looking over the bike was if the pipes were original, which they were. It was a fun ride, much faster my Shadow of course.

Gave the cover a good washing in the bathtub. Water was black on the first pass. took another 2 washes to clear and 3 rinses. The silt in the tub was impressive on the first time! Now to tack the cover in place. Cleaned the car as the frayed old burlap was everywhere under the seat.

IMGP0788.JPGIMGP0789.JPGIMGP0790.JPGIMGP0791.JPG

Last edited:
Okay, so the seat is actually a couch, and you can move it almost 10 inches... Is the floor overlaid with hardwood, and is there a 110v receptacle for the console TV so you don't miss Jackie Gleason when you're on the road?

These early cars did have couches! Wood framed and steel springs just like any other couch. Made it easy for me to rebuild it. As for hardwood floors not in this car, all steel.
My parents never went for the large console TV units, so no receptacle required!

Last edited:
These early cars did have couches! Wood framed and steel springs just like any other couch. Made it easy for me to rebuild it. As for hardwood floors not in this car, all steel.
My parents never went for the large console TV units, so receptacle required!

Sometime in the '80s my dad picked up a crate of Pop Sci/Pop Mechanics magazines from the 1930s-1950s. I still have them in a tote in storage, but the entire run is up on google books for free. Anyway, I used to love the postwar car advertisements during the age of the interstate. The idea of your car being like a home on the road, with sofas and fold-out beds and an exhaust manifold EZ-bake oven compartment that your wife can access through the glove box. The kids can jump in the suicide doors and sit in a rear facing seat and play with the electric cigarette lighters while you pay attention to the road. It must have been a great time.

Been working on cleaning up the new to me 10x54 Acra mill a few hrs every day between other jobs. It sat unused in a high end off road fab shop for over ten years. Lots of grinding debris, and all the normal chip and oil accumulation from previous owner. Once everything is clean will be doing all the normal repairs, backlash adjustments, etc, and will be adding power feeds to the Y, and Z axis Not crazy about the color, so will have to see how ambitious I am. Got 5 gal of Oil eater, and diluted it 2.5:1 for the parts cleaner. Will see how it holds up over time.

IMG_20230116_185605809_HDR.jpgIMG_20230115_123204245_HDR.jpgIMG_20230120_131246316_HDR.jpgIMG_20230118_131659094_HDR.jpgIMG_20230118_125023493_HDR.jpgIMG_20230119_135944651_HDR.jpgIMG_20230119_135955330_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
More updates to smart compressor control.

The control system for the air compressor had a solenoid valve to control the main air supply but we prefer a ball valve.

Looked up electric ball valve on Amazon and there were many.

After some time we found one that was simple, 120 VAC, Auto Return, Normally Closed, and 3/4 inch.

PERFECT!

It will go where the old valve was and we can get rid of the power adaptor that the old valve used.

We still have the ball valve on the tank as master some can do work with full tank.

The regulator still needs replacement as it has slow leak but that is another day.

We have an outlet that is connected to the lights located near the compressor.

When lights are on, outlet is on.

The compressor is magnetic starter so we added a relay with a 120 VAC coil that can control the starter via the power wire between the pressure switch and contactor

We added an outlet on a cord that is mounted to the panel.

A smart outlet plugs into the controlled outlet, Name is AIR

The panel outlet plugs into smart plug.

That ball valve power plugs into one of the outlets in the panel.

Another smart outlet plugs into the other side of the outlet, the relay plugs in here, Name COMPRESSOR.

With master ball on it is now easy, Alexa has good hearing so we can be at the normal work areas and control it.

Alexa AIR ON turns on the ball valve and power to other smart outlet.

Takes a bit to boot up, so to start compressor, Alexa COMPRESSOR ON and it goes.

Alexa can turn off or if we forget they go off with the lights.

The smart outlets do not remember to come on when power is returned no no surprise when we turn on lights.

No leak between tank master ball and the electric ball so if we forget to turn off master still have air.

Also can control with phone.

Compressor is 7.5 HP so we need not have it run when we are not there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
9359b96e2ec179cb5e1d7ce4458482e8.jpg
b465a05bec8d8d65a3010198c522ae7a.jpg

Been working on cleaning up the new to me 10x54 Acra mill
Heck of a job with the clean-up on the Acra. I'm surprised to see Turcite on the ways, was that a factory application?

More updates to smart compressor control.
Is that a dual readout pressure gauge, or a differential manometer? I've never seen the former, very cool if that's the case.

Back