What kind of alcohol is this

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a gallon of Klean strip denatured alcohol. Since there is a run on hand sanitizer now,and this can be mixed with alovera gel. What would the alcohol percentage be for this type of mixture in the gallon? 60-70% is needed for the hand sanitizer. I'm having difficulty figuring out, here is the MSDS.

Based on the MSDS< it appears to be a mixture of methanol (wood alcohol) and ethenol. The concentration does not appear to be enough to use as a sanitizer. Also, don't drink it. Can cause blindness or death, blindness then death, just death. Death will ruin your whole day.

"64-17-5 Ethyl alcohol {Ethanol} 30.0 -50.0 %
67-56-1 Methanol {Methyl alcohol; Carbinol; Wood alcohol} 40.0 -60.0 %"

Def not for drinking, just wondering if the percentages add up, or not. Not a chemist that's for sure. Thank for looking

The percentages do not add up. The concentration would be below 60% for sure. If you add aloe vera or glycerin like in the hand sanitizers, the concentration goes down further. If you are looking for a reliable recipe, with some gravitas, you can look here:

First, find the alcohol...not easy these days. Most store-bought stuff is 70% or 93% as marked on the bottle. The lower concentration would need to be taken into account to use the WHO guide.

I've heard of some using vodka, again the alcohol content is not enough. Contact some moonshines in Carolina and ask them to brew up strong batch

I have a gallon of Klean strip denatured alcohol. Since there is a run on hand sanitizer now,and this can be mixed with alovera gel. What would the alcohol percentage be for this type of mixture in the gallon? 60-70% is needed for the hand sanitizer. I'm having difficulty figuring out, here is the MSDS.

Funny you should mention this. I just picked up a gallon of denatured alcohol for this purpose. Denatured alcohol is mostly ethyl alcohol, aka grain alcohol with methanol, aka wood alcohol, added as a denaturant to keep us from drinking the stuff. Here is what I sent out to our neighbors.

As some of you may have noticed, not only Purell is unavailable but so is isopropyl alcohol for DIY hand sanitizer. I contacted one of my former colleagues who is a PhD biochemist and he told me that denatured alcohol is as effective. It is available by the gallon at Menards in the paint section. He also told me that it is more effective diluted to 70% than full strength so 7 parts of alcohol to 3 parts of water. After sanitizing, hands should be washed with soap and water to remove any residual alcohol. Denatured alcohol has methanol, aka wood alcohol, added and is toxic if swallowed.

RJ - The menards product would need to be 100% (or 99.X%) concentrated for that to work out to ~70% dilution, wouldn't it? Do you know the concentration of that product? The recommendations by the known good sources is >60% is needed in the final mix. Good point about hand washing. I wonder how much dermatitis will have to be treated with over use of harsh alcohol on the hands?

EDIT: Just to be clear, what I meant here is that if you take a product that is already diluted to 70% and dilute it again 7 parts to 3 parts water, the concentration would be too low. You have to know the starting concentration.

Regarding Vodka use as hand cleaner. I can think of better uses.

Last edited:
RJ - The menards product would need to be 100% (or 99.X%) concentrated for that to work out to ~70% dilution, wouldn't it? Do you know the concentration of that product? The recommendations by the known good sources is >60% is needed in the final mix. Good point about hand washing. I wonder how much dermatitis will have to be treated with over use of harsh alcohol on the hands?

Regarding Vodka use as hand cleaner. I can think of better uses.
Denatured ethanol has a number of formulations. The Menard product is a ethanol/methanol mix. Ethanol at its highest normal strength is 95% . It is the highest strength that can be made by conventional distillation. There is 100% ethanol, known as absolute ethanol which is made by some rather exotic means. Except for the possibility of the 5% water component in the ethanol, denatured alcohol is a 100% mixture of the two alcohols.

I would use it diluted to 70 -80% as a wash. Saturate a paper towel and wipe thoroughly. Follow by washing with soap and water. The idea of effectiveness improving effectiveness with addition of water was contrary to my previous belief but I trust the advice that I got from my colleague.

If I could buy the isopropyl alcohol, it would be my first choice but it is a scarce as hen's teeth right now with little possibility of improvement in the near future.

Last edited:
Now "everyone" knows! Looks like I need to make a quick trip to my local hardware store before it is too late! :)
RJ - Does your container show what the initial dilution is? I looked on a couple of HW store websites and the concentration is of "Kleen strip" and similar is not listed.

EDIT: OK. Now I feel foolish. The MSDS from the original post shows Kleen strip at <60%. I'm going back to working on my taxes now...

Back