What kind of alcohol is this

Funny you should mention this. I just picked up a gallon of denatured alcohol for this purpose. Denatured alcohol is mostly ethyl alcohol, aka grain alcohol with methanol, aka wood alcohol, added as a denaturant to keep us from drinking the stuff. Here is what I sent out to our neighbors.

As some of you may have noticed, not only Purell is unavailable but so is isopropyl alcohol for DIY hand sanitizer. I contacted one of my former colleagues who is a PhD biochemist and he told me that denatured alcohol is as effective. It is available by the gallon at Menards in the paint section. He also told me that it is more effective diluted to 70% than full strength so 7 parts of alcohol to 3 parts of water. After sanitizing, hands should be washed with soap and water to remove any residual alcohol. Denatured alcohol has methanol, aka wood alcohol, added and is toxic if swallowed.

Unfortunately there have been some in the past that actually have tried to drink it. In 1980 after the Mariel boatlift from Cuba a large number of refugees were housed at Camp McCoy in central Wisconsin. One morning the authorities found several men in various stages of trauma. A couple were dead, and others were near death. It seems they had broken to a warehouse and found what they thought was alcohol. They opened bottles and drank their fill. In reality what they thought was grain alcohol was actually antifreeze.

Unfortunately there have been some in the past that actually have tried to drink it. In 1980 after the Mariel boatlift from Cuba a large number of refugees were housed at Camp McCoy in central Wisconsin. One morning the authorities found several men in various stages of trauma. A couple were dead, and others were near death. It seems they had broken to a warehouse and found what they thought was alcohol. They opened bottles and drank their fill. In reality what they thought was grain alcohol was actually antifreeze.

Yes, unfortunately antifreeze(usually ethylene glycol) and wood alcohol(methanol) are metabolized by our bodies to aldehydes such as formaldehyde which works well as an embalming fluid but not so well otherwise. The treatment is IV ethanol-seriously.

Will, looks like you are sitting on 4 pails of good grain alcohol . The other two pails have been denatured which makes it poisonous.
Man I only Get just 3/4 of a gallon of 190 proof when I run 5 gallons of corn mash.Lol. You must be running a column still
Cheers
Martin

As RJ mentioned, denatured alcohol is denatured by adding methanol to ethyl alcohol so it can't be consumed & sold without alcohol tax. Methanol is poisonous & should only be consumed by internal combustion engines. ;)

Well mainly I just wanted to say, now a days, kids vape glycol instead of consuming it. :D

20191105_145554.jpg

Will, looks like you are sitting on 4 pails of good grain alcohol . The other two pails have been denatured which makes it poisonous.
Man I only Get just 3/4 of a gallon of 190 proof when I run 5 gallons of corn mash.Lol. You must be running a column still
Cheers
Martin

Haha I wish. Nah, it is denatured alcohol 190 proof. Vanzol is just a trade name for denatured alcohol for Univar.

That sealed 5 gallon pail I have is 200 proof denatured alcohol but not that it matters to me.

I got some some alcohol when I woke up today ! My son's girlfriend is down from Canada and she brought me 3 16 oz Guinness HopHouse Ales ! :encourage: She must've heard I enjoyed quite a few of these while in Ireland . :grin:

God bless her though , she's a thoughtful girl . :)

Will, between the “Zombie daggers” , titanium “stash containers” and the contraband alcohol I think I have figured out the “dark” part of your moniker. Now I have to figure out the “zero” part:rolleyes:

I got some some alcohol when I woke up today ! My son's girlfriend is down from Canada and she brought me 3 16 oz Guinness HopHouse Ales ! :encourage: She must've heard I enjoyed quite a few of these while in Ireland . :grin:

God bless her though , she's a thoughtful girl . :)

Good thing what I have is denatured otherwise I may not have any left for use in the shop. I quit drinking last June so that could have been a different story! :D

Back